Was wondering about water changes?

Ravenes

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was wondering if you should change your water every day after adding new fish? Does that stop new tank syndrome? How do I stop the fish from producing ammonia?
I have 6 white skirts
4 Albino cory
5 cherry barbs
2 thick lipped gourami
And idk if my assasin snails are alive
Should I add more of anything to the tank? I was thinking of adding nerite snails to the tank for algae.

How large is your tank? Usually, water changes are done weekly something between 25-75% depending on your tank.

Attachments

• 320CABCA-CA7C-4E37-BAFE-313958B1403C.jpeg
    320CABCA-CA7C-4E37-BAFE-313958B1403C.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 53
Was wondering if you should change your water every day after adding new fish? Does that stop new tank syndrome? How do I stop the fish from producing ammonia?

And idk if my assasin snails are alive
Should I add more of anything to the tank? I was thinking of adding nerite snails to the tank for algae.
How long has the tank been set up for?
Has the filter cycled (developed the colonies of good bacteria that keep ammonia and nitrite on 0ppm)?

You don't stop fish producing ammonia. They produce ammonia as a waste product.

To see if a snail is alive, try to gently open the operculum (the trap door they use to close up their shell). If you can pull the operculum open and the snail comes out, it is dead. If the snail pulls back on the operculum, it is alive.

----------------
You do partial water changes any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm. you can also do them if the fish look unwell or are acting strange.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Fish love to have plants, so I would be looking at getting some more stemmed plants. Then do weekly water changes.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Has the filter cycled (developed the colonies of good bacteria that keep ammonia and nitrite on 0ppm)?

You don't stop fish producing ammonia. They produce ammonia as a waste product.

To see if a snail is alive, try to gently open the operculum (the trap door they use to close up their shell). If you can pull the operculum open and the snail comes out, it is dead. If the snail pulls back on the operculum, it is alive.

----------------
You do partial water changes any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm. you can also do them if the fish look unwell or are acting strange.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
It’s been at least 8 months and the water conditions were good last time I checked I used a test stick

So should I get snails or an extra albino?

You should get more cories, not to deal with algae (they won't eat algae), but because they are highly social fish and the more in the group the better they will fare. Another three or four would be OK here.

Snails will help but not control algae. What I see on the tank walls is due to high light and nutrients. Floating plants would be your best bet here, not only because they use nutrients so fast but they also shade the lower tank and this discourages algae.

Most reactions

Back