Wanting To Start A Nano

Blueirishbloke

Reaction score
Hi Guys

After keeping tropical freshwater fish for several years, I have decided I want to get a Nano and start a Marine tank!

My local fish shop has a Boyu tank in stock and they say they have sold quite a few with no complaints so far.

I think this is the model:

http://boyu.us/eng/aquarium-kit/TL_550.htm

Just wondering does anyone know much about Boyu tanks and do the specs seem ok.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated! :)

seffie and trod are the 2 to watch for these.

Many users on here have that tank or a similar one.

Seffie and trod detailed their experiences with a diary it would be worth reading through both of those.

Hi and :hi: to the salty side

There are quite a few of us on here with this tank and several threads, they are a good tank to start with :good:
have a look around the nano section and you'll find them, this is mine and my sisters
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=253399

Kipperhips and Dani also have threads running on setting up thier TL550.

Please feel free to ask any questions, we'll do our best to help :nod:

Hi,
What is a tank, equipment aside, its still a receptacle for holding water and supsequent living organisms.
Read as much as possible on all threads surrounding the Nano aspect in the marine section, arm youself with good books and literature.
Be aware that things can be costly to a point.
Make a mental picture and make drawings of what you eventually want your tank to look like
Stick around there are lots of likeminded folks within these glass walls to help when thing go awray.
At what stage are you at presently
Regards
BigC

Hi,
What is a tank, equipment aside, its still a receptacle for holding water and supsequent living organisms.
Read as much as possible on all threads surrounding the Nano aspect in the marine section, arm youself with good books and literature.
Make a mental picture and make drawings of what you eventually want your tank to look like
Stick around there are lots of likeminded folks within these glass walls to help when thing go awray.
Regards
BigC

Hi Guys

thanks for all your info so far!

Big C, I live in Northern Ireland too!
I have a tropical freshwater tank which I got at Grosvenor Tropicals but I actually live closer to Exotic Aquatics.
I'm just at the thinking and planning stage so far but will likely buy my tank from Grosvenor and maybe stock the tank from Exotic Aquatics.
I think I will probably go for the Boyu tank really due to space considerations but I do like the tank.

I'm also wondering how much money should I be expecting to spend on the tank monthly in terms of maintenance and also electricity too.

Thanks

Hi,
Regards
BigC

Hi Guys

thanks for all your info so far!

Big C, I live in Northern Ireland too!
I have a tropical freshwater tank which I got at Grosvenor Tropicals but I actually live closer to Exotic Aquatics.
I'm just at the thinking and planning stage so far but will likely buy my tank from Grosvenor and maybe stock the tank from Exotic Aquatics.
I think I will probably go for the Boyu tank really due to space considerations but I do like the tank.

I'm also wondering how much money should I be expecting to spend on the tank monthly in terms of maintenance and also electricity too.

Thanks
on consumables
£5-10 (depending on salt used and whether you buy RO etc)

electricity, im not sure on this maybe seffie or trod could help you out, but i think its considerably lower than a standard tank due to the Pc lights

Buy yourself an RO unit and the biggest tub of salt (will last months, cost more but save you money in the end)

Must admit that we have just had the electricity bill come in (so him in doors tells me!) and they are putting up our monthly bill - think they putting it up about £20 a month, but we have also had a new under tile heated bathroom floor put in (which I have only just remembered!) - they are the only two new things in the house, mind you they say they have £200 of our money so not really sure why they are putting the bill up. Trod thinks we should be in debit now - anyway, I let the old man deal with all that, funnily enough it has never interested me :p

So, in answer to your question, :lol: I haven't got a clue :crazy: - Bet Trod will know though, wait for her, she will give you both a straight and a sound answer :blush:

Seffie x

:fish:

Salt and food, probably £12 every month (ah but again, I also have a brackish tank which I feed as well out of that!) --- oh gawd, I haven't got a scooby doo :no:

Seffie x

Hi !!
Welcome!! im in Belfast !! i have a tl550 and iam lovin it!!
i got mine in GT dont let the Local fish shop bully you into
buying stuff you dont need m8 ..dont believe all what they tell you
in the local fish shops ..do heaps of research..i found out recently that the live rock
i purchased was in another tank ! yes! i have found cable ties on my LR folks ..used to hold em together
for scaping!and i dont use em!
Make sure you use Rowaphos from day one of establishing your tank m8!

Kip

Hi !!
Welcome!! im in Belfast !! i have a tl550 and iam lovin it!!
i got mine in GT dont let the Local fish shop bully you into
buying stuff you dont need m8 ..dont believe all what they tell you
in the local fish shops ..do heaps of research..i found out recently that the live rock
i purchased was in another tank ! yes! i have found cable ties on my LR folks ..used to hold em together
for scaping!and i dont use em!
Make sure you use Rowaphos from day one of establishing your tank m8!

Kip

Cheers kip

Thanks for the info.
EA is definitely closer for me and I have bought some fish for my freshwater tank with no problems to date... :good:
However when I kept fish as I kid I used to buy my fish from GT in East Belfast and I do love their new store in Lisburn...:)

So it sounds like I'm going to get the new tank the same as yours from GT, apart from the tank and stand, what else do I need to get early on?
I was actually thinking of just buying my water from EA as it's very handy for me even for water changes in the future as I think I would prefer the convenience of that... Is that ok? :look:

Thanks

Go to the start of mine and my sisters thread, will tell you everything you need :good: Really, an RO unit, costing about £60 is a sound investment and they are really simple to install under the sink :good:

Seffie x

Go to the start of mine and my sisters thread, will tell you everything you need :good: Really, an RO unit, costing about £60 is a sound investment and they are really simple to install under the sink :good:

Seffie x

second the bit about a good investment, my RO costs me £3.50 for 25 litres!

Hey guys
Thanks for all the comments so far! :good:

The other thing I wanted to ask is would it be possible to say buy a nano tank and either set it up:

fish only or
fish only with live rock?

what are the pros and cons with both these options?

Would it be easy enough to add in corals at a later date? :unsure:

Hey guys
Thanks for all the comments so far! :good:

The other thing I wanted to ask is would it be possible to say buy a nano tank and either set it up:

fish only or
fish only with live rock?

what are the pros and cons with both these options?

Would it be easy enough to add in corals at a later date? :unsure:
FO:
nitrates build up quickly using a filter, you dont have any hitch hikers which believe me are FUN to watch!
FOWLR:
filtration is good it gives somewhere for your fish to hide etc and with that extra filter you can run PO4 and NO3 remover

Most reactions

Back