Wanting To Get Gourami's

Aveena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi. i am wanting to get a pair of gourmis, but was wondering whether a 59litre/15ukgallons is big enough. i am thinking of selling my other fish, bug keep the flagfish. are they ok with flagfish? and would someone be able to recomend a type of gourami that would be a good size for my tank.
i do like the look of dwarf, and sparking gourami's ..

all help appriciated.
thanks

Don't know much about Flagfish, but from what I read, they sound quite dosile? If you're wanting a Gourami that is less aggressive, i'd recommend a Honey Dwarf Gourami. The minimum tank they should be kept in is around 10 Gallons, so your tank should be fine. They're also happy enough as solitary fish or as a pair. I had two before one died of Dropsy, but the other is still enjoying himself...

As the name suggests, they are predomanantly Honey coloured. But as the males mature, their dorsal fin becomes more pointed, and they begin to establish some black colouration along with their Honey shade. They're probably one of the most dosile Gourami's i've come accorss and are also very firnedly and quite playful with my Minnows.

ok.. thanks for the help. dwarf it is then. is there anything i should look for when sexing them appart from the shape of the dorsal fin.

The male is generally quite considerably more colourful than the female. The female is usually a paler, less vibrant version of the male. The pointed dorsal fin is probably the safest way of sexing - it can be quite obvious.

Good luck with your Gourami!

Most reactions

Back