Walmart Fish?

mopedman

Reaction score
I am wondering if everyone trusts the fish at walmart. I ask this because they don't always look very healthy and the people in the fish center don't seem to know anything about them. So do you trust them?

No.....................................................................................................

Walmart suck dont trust them at all.

Never been intheir aquatics section, wouldn't waste my time. Avoid thisco or thatmart, they generally aren't much better, though once in a while you will find a decent one. A better idea is a privately owned shop. It might cost a little more, but you get what you pay for. They are usually higher quality, though sometimes you will find one with a lot of problems.

If you can find a local breeder or aquatics club, you will get good fish cheap.

never buy fish from walmart, they are on a circular system, meaning that all of the tanks and fish are in the same water, MEANING that if one fish in tank 8 has ICH or VELVET then ALL of the fish are exposed!!!
I never ever buy fish from walmart, I've even sat there and talked people out of buying the fish in person, been ran out of a walmart for it too! They have no respect for us or the fish all they want is the BUCKS

Thanx everyone, I didn't think they were good. About the shared water in tanks thing, doesn't petco and petsmart have it the same way or does it just seem that way? Thanks again

Thanx everyone, I didn't think they were good. About the shared water in tanks thing, doesn't petco and petsmart have it the same way or does it just seem that way? Thanks again

petco and petsmart know alot about fish. wal mart does not know anything. The fish at our wal-mart, are utra-slim, dead, dyeing, and have lots of dieseses. the people don't know what kind of diesese they have, so they just let them die. lots of them have ich and the workers think: uh, the fish have little white spots on them". and they have no idea it's a parasite infection. so they use a net in an ich infested tank, and use the same net in the other tank, and it all spreds. petsmart/petco give constant attention and care to their animals.

you may see some dieng or diesesed fish at petsmart or petco, but when you come back, their gone. that means if they die, the staff takes the fish out ASAP. And they treat fish ASAP.

petsmart- :good: :thumbs:

petco- :good: :thumbs:

wal mart- :no:

petco and petsmart know alot about fish. wal mart does not know anything. The fish at our wal-mart, are utra-slim, dead, dyeing, and have lots of dieseses. the people don't know what kind of diesese they have, so they just let them die. lots of them have ich and the workers think: uh, the fish have little white spots on them". and they have no idea it's a parasite infection. so they use a net in an ich infested tank, and use the same net in the other tank, and it all spreds. petsmart/petco give constant attention and care to their animals.

you may see some dieng or diesesed fish at petsmart or petco, but when you come back, their gone. that means if they die, the staff takes the fish out ASAP. And they treat fish ASAP.

petsmart- :good: :thumbs:

petco- :good: :thumbs:

wal mart- :no:

Maybe thats just the ones that you visit, though. Thankfully there are no pet chain stores where I live, but I've heard tons of horror stories about both petco and petsmart. According to people I've talked to, some of those stores are no better then Walmart. Personally, I have never walked into a petco or petsmart that didn't look well kept, but they are out there.

sorry to differ but i've been in the hobby long enough to know that ICHMART AND PETSLOW dont know diddley about their stock, I never recomend buying livestock from them only dry goods.

you want to really help the hobby then search out a mom & pop LFS that has been in business longer then some hybrid chain that deals in mass volume instead of customer & animal appreciation like a mom & pop place does. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISH STORE!!!

petsmart's website reccomends a "minimum of a quart" of water in a tank for a betta... :\ that alone makes me doubt them. Also, some of it is reused - part of the betta care sheet says "your barb"...

I don't know if this is a canadian company, but a chain called SuperPet seems to consistently take care of their fish.

I occasionally do Walmart rescues, but that's about it. At least the Petco and Petsmart around my house are realtively good, they could just work on keeping care of the gold fish though...

I am wondering if everyone trusts the fish at walmart. I ask this because they don't always look very healthy and the people in the fish center don't seem to know anything about them. So do you trust them?

What if the walmart is currently our only choice? The distance I would have to travel to find a good fish store aor a small local owned one is over 60+ min drive. Would not that length of time stress the fish once purchased.

fish can last the journey as long as the conditions are optimum as possible

some stores catch fish - properly with as little handling as possible and input oxygen into the bag - padding and extra buffering material is used - ok - price goes up - but the fish survive and they are "good" conditions - having said that i have transported fish which the journey was almost and hour and a half with no "extra oxygen" just a poly bag inside a paper bag!!!! - and with proper acclimatisation to your tank and water the fish are thriving!

gotta be good healthy specimens to start off with though i suppose.....

in U.K pets@home - some store fish are horribly kept and other stores every tank looks very well maintained and healthy fish.

just my 2p's worth!!!!

fish can last the journey as long as the conditions are optimum as possible

some stores catch fish - properly with as little handling as possible and input oxygen into the bag - padding and extra buffering material is used - ok - price goes up - but the fish survive and they are "good" conditions - having said that i have transported fish which the journey was almost and hour and a half with no "extra oxygen" just a poly bag inside a paper bag!!!! - and with proper acclimatisation to your tank and water the fish are thriving!

gotta be good healthy specimens to start off with though i suppose.....

in U.K pets@home - some store fish are horribly kept and other stores every tank looks very well maintained and healthy fish.

just my 2p's worth!!!!
The wallmart I have been looking at, the day time lady knows alot about the fish, now I am not so stupid to think she knows it all, but she has been able to give me reasonable answers to what i ask. She says she has several tanks of her own, and I see her cleaning the tanks all the time, and adding in medications if needed.

When they just restocked the tanks, she told me to not buy them for a few days to see which ones were health and would last. Also she said to go with the fish that had been there for a while and were not fresh off the plane/truck??

I have a situation that pretty much prevents me from buying anything from most pet stores. I have pet rats, and they are very delicate creatures that are sensitive to diseases brought in from other rodents. Every LFS in town (even the ones within a reasonable distance) sell rodents. To prevent my rats from getting deadly diseases, if I visit a pet store with rodents, I have to wait at least 3 hours before going home. This means that if I bought a fish from a pet store, it would be in the bag for at least 3 hours. (More then that when getting acclimated to the tank.) Therefore I usually buy my fish from Wal-Mart, as they sell no rodents and I can go directly home.

Not the best solution, but what else can I do? :/

(Open to ideas. Are fish ok being in the bag for over three hours?)

I have a situation that pretty much prevents me from buying anything from most pet stores. I have pet rats, and they are very delicate creatures that are sensitive to diseases brought in from other rodents. Every LFS in town (even the ones within a reasonable distance) sell rodents. To prevent my rats from getting deadly diseases, if I visit a pet store with rodents, I have to wait at least 3 hours before going home. This means that if I bought a fish from a pet store, it would be in the bag for at least 3 hours. (More then that when getting acclimated to the tank.) Therefore I usually buy my fish from Wal-Mart, as they sell no rodents and I can go directly home.

Not the best solution, but what else can I do? :/

(Open to ideas. Are fish ok being in the bag for over three hours?)

:blink:

Most reactions

Back