Walmart Fish Aisle.

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd share my experience with a walmart today. 

I drove me and my brother out to see my grandma because she also lives next to a massive mall and there's lots of pokemon spawns there and stuff haha. Anyway. We went to visit her and just hang out in her area, it's pretty big so there's lots of stuff to do. 

I stopped off at a walmart because I am looking for clay pebbles as I am setting up my aquaponics setup for winter to keep all my terestrial plants alive during the cold. (tomatoes, basil, greenbeans, chili peppers, jalapenos, mint, various other plants if you are wondering) and I walked into the walmart and they had a fish section!! The walmart near where me and my brother live doesn't have one of these. They used to but got rid of it. I was surprised to see the tanks and fish in them, and it was cool this walmart by my grandma's had fish. It is about a half an hour drive from her house to our house.

I looked at the selections and I was surprised, and already upset at the management. I saw a parent buying fish for her children and neither the lady helping get the fish, or the children or adult had an idea about fish. I saw her buy 2 yellow lab cichlids and 2 blue acei cichlids? Not sure about the acei's. I forgot my cichlids. It was a yellow and a blue. Two of each, and they were accompanied with a 10 gallon tank in the cart. I sorta wanted to speak up but I didn't feel like it. I know those fish are going to die but there's nothing I can do. Anyone else had experiences like this?

On the other hand, they did have a lot of awesome fish. They had some really awesome australis rainbowfish which I considered getting to add to my school, and some SILVER DOLLARS. I can't believe they had silver dollars. I considered getting them because they were only $5 each...

I wish I had a tank to provide for them though. Would they be able to live in 36 gallons? 

I wanted to keep some silver dollars but someone suggested to me that they need at least 75 gallons. They can be in a 36g, but you WILL need to upgrade. I had my heart set on them when I was searching for some new fish, but sadly I don't have the room or money for a larger tank. :( Also keep in mind they are schooling fish. 

BettaBettas said:
silver dolls go from fresh to brackish
really now? wow. I had no idea, I've seen them in so many planted tanks.

yes when there adults there brackish fish... I think

well that's what I hear anyway
ohmy.png
do some research

just looked it up, there freshwater but can also be in brackish
Makes sense my bad

Am a bit unsure about the brackish part for silver dollars, there are a few species but the care and tank size for each is very similar.
But at the very least, they need a large tank of at LEAST 48in, foor feet though i suspect that is for a small group of juveniles and therefore much larger quarters will be needed for a group of these as adults. So your 36 gal tank is not really suitable at all, sorry.

Seem to be a fairly demanding fish specie to keep in terms of pH, water hardness and set up.

Metynnis argenteus

Metynnis argenteus, Metynnis hypsauchen, Metynnis maculatus

As for the orginal subject of LFS / Walmart, this sort of practice is unfortunately fairly common :/
Do bear in mind not all LFS and staff are like this.
However things ARE improving but at a extremely slow rate of progress. So, my advice is whenever you go to a LFS is to take any advice from LFS with a large pinch of aquarium salt and do not purchase any livestock until you are certain and having done your research and seeking advice etc.

Thats pretty much the only way to be sure.

they say silver dollars are the beginner of master fish keeping, which is like in the big fish grow arowanna and stuff (idk if I spelled that right), I almost got silver dollars one day but I didn't meet the requirements, I will however in the near future :))))))

Cool. Silver dollars are nice but I don't think it's worth the giant tank.

Hopefully this winter I will set up a 75 gallon or something for some angelfish. I want to find a used tank. Sure as hell not paying $300 for a new tank and stand.

Most reactions

Back