Vortech Mp40 Es

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is the any downside to them aside from the somewhat terrifying cost. I was concidering going closed loop as

A) I don't really like the look of loads of powerheads and cable for said powerhead scattered around tank.
B) If i can manage to keep my tank stable for 6-12 months I quite fancied gettin an anemone of some kind and given my luck it would walk straight into a powerhead.

Now i kinda figured that for the closed loop i would require 2 eheim pumps at £200 and then either a Ocean motion unit or 2-3 scwd's which would run to another £100 plus pumping which is now easily getting towards cost of vortech plus unless i drilled i would have pipes visible. Plus i figure I could build an egg crate cage for the vortech if i introduced an anemone till it settled as it's only a single point to cover.

Anyone fancy talking me into or out of buying one ?

Well I was absolutely definitely not getting a Vortech, so I ended up buying............a Vortech. Just soooo much prettier and the way they move water is completely different. I did have a powerhead with half the flow of the Vortech in my tank and the flow was massive up to about 18" across the tank to the extent it blew some pulsing Xenia off a rock, then huge dead spot the other end. The Vortech produces a wider more complete flow, somehow it manages to produce the same sort of flow 3ft away as it does 6" away, nothing gets blown about too brutally. It has a very strong undertow too. Put sand in yesterday and it was dragging light bits in the sand across the bottom of the tank from 2' away.

Despite my massive initial skepticism they are truly awesome things. Just a bit of playing around when initially positioning but no more than a normal powerhead. As for noise, mine is pretty quiet even after just one week, except when on a high flow pulse setting. The fact that it automatically goes into night mode and then switches itself back again 8-12 hours later is great, and the feed mode which gives you 10 minutes with the pump just about spinning is handy too.

im in the club
2010-09-10113631.jpg

great pumps! easier than doing mainatainace on a closed loop too

Oh I so want one..........

The magnum 8 I have in my tank is great, but i'm finding it is too much flow for my nems :sad:

Ben, where you been, you dont seem to around much anymore :sad:

Seffie x

12-13 hour days at the minute! Still nothings happened with my tank. im a few bits of glass off finnished and i just cant get anyone interested in cutting it for me!

So the general consensues is run man. Run and buy a mp40 now.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't an anemone risk getting chopped by one of those even a bit moreso than other powerheads where there's a reasonable length of tube between the intake and impeller? The vortech fan doesn't look very protected.

My theory is that as it is only one thing i can cage it in egg crate or similar if i get an anemone. But yeah i'm sure they can shred an anemone like all the other powerheads. Just a single point to protect in my mind. Although i'm a complete novice.

They actually come with a guard to stop nems getting sucked through the sides. You shouldn't have to worry about the front as all the flow will stop a nems tenticles. Its the sides they get sucked into and chopped up it

Most reactions

Back