Vertical Vs Horizontal

BigbruiserAl

I ain't gettin on no plane fool
Reaction score
Didt find anything on this subject, How have people got their heaters set up. I know in the past it was 45 angle on the back of the tank. I seem to see alot of poeple inc my 80l tank have their hesters Vertical. Am i right in thnkning as long as it near say the output that moves the water around the heater this should be ok with no cold spots?

Didt find anything on this subject, How have people got their heaters set up. I know in the past it was 45 angle on the back of the tank. I seem to see alot of poeple inc my 80l tank have their hesters Vertical. Am i right in thnkning as long as it near say the output that moves the water around the heater this should be ok with no cold spots?

I put mine Horizontal on the back face of the tank. Smack in the middle and as low as possible. I get a better "all over" temperature rather than cooler one end.

I have a 3 D background so I cant have mine on the back. Its on the side of the tank at an angle near the inlet and I dont have any problems, but having said that I do have an external filter which is fairly powerful.

Horizontal would theoretically the best, but if your water circulation is up to scratch their should be no problems have it vertical.

I have a spary bar on my out put then can be used vertical....might put next to the heater should be better with water flow going through the guard on the heater

My heater is actually too tall vertically, so I have it horizontally in the bottom quarter of the tank.

One advantage this way is that you can do a large water change with it still covered with tank water.

I'm currently setting up a bigger new tank and will probably have the next one vertical due to the extra height though.

My heater is vertical so i can hide it behind the pickup pipe for the filter :p

there seems to be a decent amount of water flowing through , the filter outlet on the opposite side pushes towards the heater so there should be a decent circular flow within the tank (AR620)

I always wonder how people use theres. I have mine horizontal around halfway down my tank on the back side. This is just under the inlet and the outlet for the heater. So i get a good flow "I Think"

My heater is actually too tall vertically, so I have it horizontally in the bottom quarter of the tank.

One advantage this way is that you can do a large water change with it still covered with tank water.

I'm currently setting up a bigger new tank and will probably have the next one vertical due to the extra height though.

Not the best idea to have your hands in the tank whilst the heater is on. Very unlikely, but if there's a problem, you'd get an almighty shock

any tank 125l or below and it doesnt really matter a great deal, anything over then diagonal and ideally in the filter flow is best. :)

mine is horizontal at back of tank near the bottom,it's more up one end because of power points length of lead etc, however my thermometer is other end . some heaters shouldn't be placed vertically because of how they are made! i guess whatever works for you and your heater is fine as i'm sure you keep an eye on things anyway :)

I have two in my 350ltr and one in the rest. All are vertical but I've had to hang one from the middle left of the lid in a smaller tank I have. Lost 3 apple snails because they would climb on it when it was off them when it come on they were burnt. I only found out what had happened to the first when I see the second get fried any fell into the same position. After the 3rd had done in I thought I'd best move it.

Most reactions

Back