Various Neons Together?

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
I have had a bit of a swap around as my current tank setups weren't working and i feel this is a much better way of having things. I have moved my community fish into a 90 litre tank.

My current stock is:

3 Balloon Mollies
1 Guppy
1 Wag Tail Swordtail
1 Wag Tail Platty
1 Neon Tetra
2 BN's
3 Apple Snails

My question is, would my sole remaining normal neon shoal with a group of black neons? If not then i will just get a group of normals. Anyone else suggest a few others as i don't believe i am at the tanks limit... am i?

Black and "normal" neons are not the same species. Although they are not antagonistic to each other, they will not shoal together either.

Thanks mate, i didn't realise that. I will just get a group of the normal neons then.

Any advice on the other stocking levels?

On rare occasions I have seen them shoal but they break up quite a lot. They won't create a nice shoaling effect.

You need to add some more neons, they rely on each other to survive in the wild and in your aquarium should be no different because in an aquarium you are trying to create a natuaral inviroment. They rely on each other due to more eyes see danger, and if there naturally shoaling species then get some more! :angry:

You need to add some more neons, they rely on each other to survive in the wild and in your aquarium should be no different because in an aquarium you are trying to create a natuaral inviroment. They rely on each other due to more eyes see danger, and if there naturally shoaling species then get some more! :angry:

I think you need to re-read the post mate...

I think you need to re-read the post mate...
Explain to me what ive missed................

The fact that you was telling me to add more neons when this was my original question as to which neons i could add. The fact that you added an angry face at the end of the post tells me you didn't read the whole post/thread and just read the stock list. If this is not the case then i appologise.

The fact that you was telling me to add more neons when this was my original question as to which neons i could add. The fact that you added an angry face at the end of the post tells me you didn't read the whole post/thread and just read the stock list. If this is not the case then i appologise.
Yeah but i dont take a rocket scientist to work out that they wont shoal with other species, and the same with other tetras they wont shoal with other species. They rely on each other.
I think it was a stupid question when they are a naturally shoaling species, you on your profile shows a fish addict and you have 1 neon tetra in a tank? Like did you just buy 1 from the lfs or more than 6 and some died?.
I was angry of the fact there was just 1 in your tank and you should deffinitely get some more of that kind, if you read in books 6 or more is ideal.

Once again, if you had read the whole thread (or even the whole of the first post) you would have understood that this REMAINING tetra is on his own and I was asking if he would shoal with black neons. The reply I got was no so I said I would increase the number of normal neons. Admittedly I didn't realise they were different species altogether. Is that ok with you?

The reason I have only got one left from a group of 6 is because unfortunately I had to put them in a smaller tank with some angel fish for a few hours whilst we had a carpet fitted as we couldn't move the big tank whilst it had water in it.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

Also, he is demonstrating the best colour he ever has done and he is quite happy swimming around on his own. He doesn't hide and isn't scared of the other fish he is in with. So the fact that you state regarding them 'relying' each other is a bit of an over-statement imo as he has been in this situation for easily 4 months with no problems what so ever. Surely if he was stressed he wouldn't be as brightly coloured as he is or as free swimming as he is... if what you said was gospel then he would have probably died along time ago. Something to consider...

Anyway, the numbers will be increasing either today or tomorrow so you can chill out now. :)

Also, he is demonstrating the best colour he ever has done and he is quite happy swimming around on his own. He doesn't hide and isn't scared of the other fish he is in with. So the fact that you state regarding them 'relying' each other is a bit of an over-statement imo as he has been in this situation for easily 4 months with no problems what so ever. Surely if he was stressed he wouldn't be as brightly coloured as he is or as free swimming as he is... if what you said was gospel then he would have probably died along time ago. Something to consider...

Anyway, the numbers will be increasing either today or tomorrow so you can chill out now. :)
Oh dear ive touched a nerve! Hey your making it out to be my problem, your the one who posted the thread. And i dont think its an overstatment saying something what is fact, hence the rely on each other! At the end of the day your neon tetra aint had no choice............. :fish: - NEON :rofl:

At the end of the day if he was unhappy he would be dead...

You can pick your toys up now :good:

Most reactions

Back