Vallis Not Growing

So vallis can do ok on excel if its not overdosed?

Overdosing does cause problems for Vallis.
However dosing as prescribed differs from person to person. Some folks have no luck with liquid carbon when used with Vallis. Whereas some folks are fine with the combination. It would be interesting to investigate this further. Would the Vallis not suffer as much if the tank was injected with CO2 as well as liquid carbon? In high-tech tanks were growth occurs at faster rates, would the Vallis do better and struggle through? Who knows, but a test would be interesting ;)
All we can do for now is try out the liquid carbon on our own individual tanks and observe what happens. If the Vallis begins to struggle then stop using it, simple.

This is hardly scientific, but since Java fern, java moss and vallis (jungle and corkscrew) seem to be the only things I can get to survive (possibly even bording on "thriving" in the case of the vallis) I figured I'd mention the following: I've heard that adding excel - or any liquid carbon for that matter - either doesn't help vallis or can even hurt it. However, in my limited personal experience, when I remember to keep on top of my Excel dosing, my vallis (both varieties) EXPLODES. New leaves, runners, even blooms(?) in the case of the jungle vallis.

It could just be that my plants are so starved for any kind of carbon that they're happy to settle for the liquid variety, I suppose, but I will say that my experience tends to run counter to the "conventional wisdom" that one tends to read here.

For whatever that's worth.

I'd be interested to see what happens with this - I have the same problem in my 35L. I don't dose any ferts or easycarbo (I used to dose easycarbo but stopped when I heard that this could be a source of the problem for the vallis. Since stopping, I've had a bit of an algae bloom on the glass but otherwise, no change. The plants are still about 2-3 inches tall, with lots of shoots, but no growth :/ It's like they've just frozen in time and everything else is growing around them... It's wierd...

So vallis can do ok on excel if its not overdosed?

Overdosing does cause problems for Vallis.
However dosing as prescribed differs from person to person. Some folks have no luck with liquid carbon when used with Vallis. Whereas some folks are fine with the combination. It would be interesting to investigate this further. Would the Vallis not suffer as much if the tank was injected with CO2 as well as liquid carbon? In high-tech tanks were growth occurs at faster rates, would the Vallis do better and struggle through? Who knows, but a test would be interesting
wink.gif

All we can do for now is try out the liquid carbon on our own individual tanks and observe what happens. If the Vallis begins to struggle then stop using it, simple.

I hate excel for vallis for the simple reason it never worked for me, I would add air to the tank and seemed to work wonderful for me, I ended up with tons of small vallis hmm...

ever since I went injected co2 I would never go back the other route I have seen a huge difference, my vallis when first introduced to my tank seemed to die, so I hesitated and with me injecting co2 thaught can't hurt to try started with 2 maybe 3 of them about 3-4 inches and they where dieing what I baught them.... NOW they are pearling green and shooting off runners slowly but they are shooting runners off, I have noticed a huge difference. When I used excel the vallis would just die I think because its not the same as a bottle of co2(injected) but from my little hesitation I had i am kinda glad I did get them, of course me injecting co2 and dosing EI I would say they are 8-12" tall and they are not jungle val neither, and the runners seem to run under the sand substrate, thing is when I see a leaf die i pull it off to promote the growth of more. But for some reason in my high tech tank I still can't grow java moss lmao

Edit
Rough estimation
Had setup for 1 year now

Bottle of Excel $50 about every 2 months
in 1 year $250
Total for the year $250
Injected Cost all is up front
$150+ for the gauge bubble counter etc
$10 for tubbing
$15 Glass Diffusers
$6 Glycerin(Bubble fluid)
$45 Bottle Co2 full(Used tank)
Total starting fee $226 gives 3 months of use

$15 refill every 3-4 months

Total for first year
+45
$271

Price difference = $21 excel wins for a 1 year setup

Second year
Excel $250

Bottle refills 4 of them $60

Difference $190 bottle (injected) wins on year 2

What wins after the 2 year period combined
Excel $500
Canister $331

Savings $169 in a 2 year period

Lets take away from the savings now, the sol. goes bad
$50 off ebay shipped to you
Savings would then be $119

and who is happy? You and who is upset your lfs for not taking that $169 profit from you
What is really happy your wallet book

Its affordable why don't people do it? Over a 3 year period I think you get the point, I use to use excel thats what my spending was like on the product, I changed and now my wallet was upset in the beggining but now its happy this year on the savings :) its affordable maybe in a tank of 55gal or more but it really is affordable I think in most cases though it depends on how much excel you go through. Things that go wrong with excel, plants die, you run out. Things that go wrong with a Canister, it needs to be certified every 5 years I think, Sol, can break, be a noobie at it and overdose your tank, end of tank dump can kill your fish, get the cylinder filled with the wrong stuff its possible 2 kinds of co2. Have to weight the pros and cons to both systems I guess. Sorry for the edit hi jack although I think it might fit this post very well on the topic of plants dieing

When I started using EasyCarbo around a year ago, my Vallis seemed to be on 'pause' for a few weeks. They didn't die off but just stopped growing for a while. After a few weeks, they were back to sending out runners as before. If they're not dying off, just wait a few weeks and they should be ok.

well, i dont use the liquid stuff, but i made DIY CO2 and am using my powerhead to diffuse it which is working great, its been going for a week now, so far havent noticed any new growth in any of my plants, but ill just wait and see i guess.

also i relocated one of my vallis and its roots were really small. would the pebbles (about .8cm diameter) be blocking the roots from growing? i plan on switching to sand, do the nitrates and other nutrients and fish crap still get to the roots like they do in the gravel?

Vallis needs very little in the way of nutrition, it grows like a weed in my tank, im constantly pulling it up, and over two foot long, i hardly ever add plant food, i dont have co2, and not special lights just the ones the tank came with. Grows better in the 50 gal tank than the 25 gal tank, di

well im worried about the nutrients not getting into the substrate for the other plants as well.

i have used easy carbo for a while and my vallis grows round the tank.

Most reactions

Back