Vacum how often?

fiorile833

Reaction score
I have a 30gallon tank that I just got from a friend (fish and all). The tank was totally cleaned and brand new gravel put in. I have 2 larger fish (a shark and a sucker fish) and then 3swordtails, 2 Mollies and 1gurami.

Everything was cleaned on Saturday (4days ago) and have noticed a lot of "debris" from the Sucker all around the tank. I have a vacuum and was instructed in its use, but how often would a tank of this size need to be cleaned?

Yes i agree once a week with your partial water change, also i had this discussion at my Tropical Centre, and he said DONT suck up all the poo etc... as you will take alot of the bacteria away, just vacum 10% of the bottom per week...

I dont know how accurate this is, as i am new to this game too..

Claire x

Once a week as part of regular water change (I do my catfish twice a week in hot weather because of their barbels being sensitive).

Don't think there's any harm in sucking up any poo that's actually floating on top of the substrate, as most of the bacteria lives down in the gravel; it's the gravel itself you want to clean gently and not all in one go.

Clairel said:
Yes i agree once a week with your partial water change, also i had this discussion at my Tropical Centre, and he said DONT suck up all the poo etc... as you will take alot of the bacteria away, just vacum 10% of the bottom per week...

Claire x
[snapback]900352[/snapback]​

Clairel said:

Claire x
[snapback]900352[/snapback]​
That vast majority of the bacteria reside in the filter - not the poo in the gravel :)
I always vacuum the greater area of my substrate - though around live plants I only do it very lightly and not to disturb the roots. In my gravel tank I don't bother lifting up the wooden logs though - I will probably only shove them aside to vacuum under them once every two months or so.

Most reactions

Back