UV to treat ick?

nlynton

Reaction score
I am having a big ich problem that started small. I first noticed it on my clown loach. It's been about 3-5 days and now I notice it on other fish. I have been using quick cure, but it doesn't seem to be working...only getting worse.

I have just now turned up my heater. I have been reading some other articles and I see they say that if it is bad, you can use a UV light to kill them.

Anyone have any advice on the ich and the use of UV? I have two clown loaches (only one seems sick) and one newly infected pictus catfish. He seems to have it the worse.

First, depending on your tank volume a UV unit will cost you between £65 and £90. Second, you'll need to plumb it in so the entire volume of your tank water gets passed through it (that means you'll need to buy a pump). It's far more sensible (and cheaper) to just get some ich meds (Interpret, Protozin etc).

Do NOT turn up the heat until you're able to treat ich, otherwise you'll just increase the lifecycle speed and infect your fish faster. And you probably know this, but don't use salt in your tank - it does kill ich, but it also kills your loaches.

I don't understand your heat statement. Do not increase it until when? When you say treat the ich you mean with quick cure? I am doing that now.

Most reactions

Back