UV sterilisers

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I really want to get a UV steriliser on my 300-litre tank but I'm not sure how best to do it. The tank is going to be filtered by a Fluval FX4 (already got) and the Fluval inline UV steriliser does not work with the FX range I think the flow is too great for it to be of use.

Has anyone else found any good ones that either run as independent units or that can go on higher flow filters? I know the marine side uses them a lot so presumably, something from that side could be a good option?

I know it is belt and braces but its something I'd really like to do so please recommend if you know :)

Wills

A member here recommended this one to me a while back:
Haven't had to buy one yet.
You are not in the US so i'm not sure if you can get this...

A member here recommended this one to me a while back:
Haven't had to buy one yet.
You are not in the US so i'm not sure if you can get this...
I had forgotten about them same make as my lights, they are a Portuguese company so no problem getting them here.

Bit of a gimmick on the algae side imo but they do make claims about pathogens so might look that up. From memory they use o zone in some way but a lot of people think the science isn’t 100%.

Wills

I have one of these lurking in the 53 gallon. I use the 24w but the 9w would probably suffice.

Used GKM's for many many years on all of my aquariums....they are brilliant and easy to obtain spare bulb fitments from the same supplier.

I use mine once every couple months for about 24-48 hours. Not had any sort of bloom, disease etc ever...and before adding new fish I use it for 3 days before and 7 days after arrival.

They are pretty much invisible in the back of the aquarium, easily hidden with decor and the sponges just need a rinse out every few months (and they come with spares too)

The only part of the GKM that is visible is the outlet (poking out above the Tiger Lotus leaves)......but you can't see the body of the unit at all from the top or front (my side where it is has a covering anyway, so would not be seen)

IMG_20230125_092451_resized_20230125_092524589.jpg

I see a lot of people recommending UV sterilizers designed for algae.

Just a note: Those sterilizers are not rated for bacteria/pathogens, just algae. The reason for that is the exposure of the water to the light is not long enough to kill bacteria/pathogens - meaning that while perhaps some bacteria will die from exposure to the light, you should not expect to use it for your tank beyond algae control purposes.

If you are just trying to control algae then these are great options.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people recommending UV sterilizers designed for algae.

Just a note: Those sterilizers are not rated for bacteria/pathogens, just algae. The reason for that is the exposure of the water to the light is not long enough to kill bacteria/pathogens - meaning that while perhaps some bacteria will die from exposure to the light, you should not expect to use it for your tank beyond algae control purposes.

If you are just trying to control algae then these are great options.
I thought the same when first Connor mentioned them but I did remember they had a claim about fish diseases so when to check their site and found this

It claims to be more effective than UV but I have to admit I can't make out what the chart is saying.

Wills

I beg to differ on their use.

Mine laid waste to a severe bacterial bloom in two days when the 53 was initially started up, pre-fish. The GKM in the past (3w version) have dealt with it too in much smaller aquariums.

Yes, primarily they are marketed for algae/green bloom but they also handle other irritations such as bacterial blooms regardless of cause, they have prevented any disease (such as Ick)...it is documented that they are far from being a "one trick pony".

I suspect "not rated for bacteria" doesn't mean they don't kill bacteria...it simply means they haven't been tested adequately and/or don't work thoroughly enough to be used for potable water, etc. A non-rated light could still kill sufficient bacteria to help in an aquarium.

I always figured that UV sterilizers were unnecessary , a marine aquarium piece of equipment that had no freshwater use but in thinking about it I had another thought. All naturally occurring waters are exposed to direct sunlight and maybe that’s something we take away by bringing things indoors. Bad bugs get zapped and good ones aren’t affected. Just an idle thought.

I beg to differ on their use.

Mine laid waste to a severe bacterial bloom in two days when the 53 was initially started up, pre-fish. The GKM in the past (3w version) have dealt with it too in much smaller aquariums.

Yes, primarily they are marketed for algae/green bloom but they also handle other irritations such as bacterial blooms regardless of cause, they have prevented any disease (such as Ick)...it is documented that they are far from being a "one trick pony".

I suspect "not rated for bacteria" doesn't mean they don't kill bacteria...it simply means they haven't been tested adequately and/or don't work thoroughly enough to be used for potable water, etc. A non-rated light could still kill sufficient bacteria to help in an aquarium.
I'll say that I speak from research and not experience - but I have yet to (but am open to) find any article that shows the GKM or any other low-end UV sterilizer can do anything else but clear bacterial blooms/algae and kill the occasional bacteria.

Everything I've read shows that it is capable of Level 1 Sterilization - but if you were able to slow the water flow down enough, it could be capable of more due to the high wattage of the GKM.

For me, anecdotal evidence is not enough because in most cases it would be near impossible to prove that the GKM or similar product kills bacteria (or enough bacteria) to positively impact the aquarium - because how can the average aquarist know that their tank did not get Ich because of the GKM? There are way too many variables - stocking, temperature, water changes, additions to the tank, stress etc.

What someone can do is a before/after KGM water sample and test for bacteria. I don't know that I've seen this test done yet, but it's the only way to prove anything when it comes to the question "does it kill bacteria and positively impact the tank".

If you have evidence that this is actually the case I would love to see it, truly.

Last edited:
I'll say that I speak from research and not experience - but I have yet to (but am open to) find any article that shows the GKM or any other low-end UV sterilizer can do anything else but clear bacterial blooms and kill the occasional bacteria.

Everything I've read shows that it is capable of Level 1 Sterilization - but if you were able to slow the water flow down enough, it could be capable of more due to the high wattage of the GKM.

For me, anecdotal evidence is not enough because in most cases it would be near impossible to prove that the GKM or similar product kills bacteria (or enough bacteria) to positively impact the aquarium - because how can the average aquarist know that their tank did not get Ich because of the GKM? There are way too many variables - stocking, temperature, water changes, additions to the tank, stress etc.

What someone can do is a before/after KGM water sample and test for bacteria. I don't know that I've seen this test done yet, but it's the only way to prove anything when it comes to the question "does it kill bacteria and positively impact the tank".

If you have evidence that this is actually the case I would love to see it, truly.
I have no evidence whatsoever, thus "I suspect." I was just pointing out that something can be "not rated" to kill bacteria, but might still work. Of course, there's also the possibility that it doesn't. The science just doesn't exist, as far as I know. Somebody that uses a UV filter needs to do that experiment!

Most reactions

Back