UV filters

chrisrm

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a UV filter (that wont break the bank) I’ve got an all pond solutions 1000 at the moment. Don’t mind wether it’s in line or submersible.

I had a super affordable Sun Sun UV filter for years and years and was very happy with it.
I found the UV was more useful for keeping algae from forming than for removing any free floating matter. But I did appreciate the fact I did not have any algae issues while using this filter.
The Sun Sun was under $100 . I forgot the exact model, but it was for a larger tank. I was also impressed that this was one of the few filters I’ve had that reliably primed itself after being turned off for any reason and it was quiet.
I got mine on Amazon, but they may carry them at independent pet stores.

I just don't think UV filters are particularly practical for aquariums since there are better ways to control algae. Now ponds are different since we can't really control the sun! Anyway, I've been in the hobby most of my life and the road ahead is shorter than the road behind, but I've never really had a need for a UV sterilizer. I know a lot of folks say they're great for cloudy or green water, but with plants, proper feeding and lighting, and routine periodic partial water changes, there's rarely any need for UV sterilization.
------
I put a canister filter on my 110g stock tank and it came with a built in UV light that I never turn on - I feel that the water passes by too fast for the UV light to do much...I think that it's more of a sales gimmick than a practical, working item.
------
IF you have green or cloudy water, you have too much light, or too many nutrients...or both. Solve the problem at the root cause and save your money...less feeding, more water changes (frequency/volume), and perhaps less light. Just my $.02. :)

Most reactions

Back