USPS Can No Longer Ship Fish???

Kara101584

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just called my local USPS and was told they can no longer accept live anything as mail??? Anyone else heard this?

I've heard that,and I've also heard it's not true or that it depends on which clerk you get etc. I've had no problem and my PO knows exactly what I'm shipping when I come in. One lady in particular starts fretting when she has to deal with me
"Oh I don't know why they have to go through this. Can't these people buy fish locally? Keep these babies home!!" :lol:
Another say's
"Fish again?"
"yup"
"alrighty"

If you use the auto teller it asks if the box has live animals. I've always kinda wondered what happens if you tell it "Yes".I never use that method anyway.

I've also walked in without breathing a word to a new teller and when they ask if it's "fragile,liquid or perishable" I say all of the above and each and ever time they have the nerve to ask what is in the box. I usually get a semi attitude and say "are you asking me what is in my private mail?" and they insist that I tell them. But it's never a problem.

Is that your only post office? I have like 6 within a ten mile radius of me. Maybe try a different one,if possible.

Yeah, I was thinking I just wouldn't tell them what's in the box. I'm shipping my girl overnight to Synirr to spawn with your Mini Boy Wuv. :)

I've never shipped a fish before, can you give me an idea of what I should pack with her? I know I need to go buy a heat pack, can I just use those "hot hands" type things you rub and stay hot for 6+ hours?

Planning on sending her out Monday, should be exciting to see if they spawn. :)

What's the weather like there? Because I know Synirr is here in Texas and it's pretty darn warm already.

The smaller the box,the cheaper it will be. Try and get a mini cooler type of thing if possible. My lfs gives me these awesome teeny tiny coolers that the Hikari frozen food comes wrapped in. It's the perfect size for one or two bettas. I just stick that in the box if I'm only sending a couple. Otherwise you'll just want to line a box with newspaper and put the betta in the middle and pack balls of newspaper around and over her. If you do use a heatpack,put it on top of the newspaper before you close the box,this way it doesn't rest aside her and cook her. They reach 130+ degrees (they scare me). And yes,the hand warmers work nicely. That's what I use. I know you can get different sizes,some last 10 hours,others 24. I think a ten hour would be fine for an overnight trip. This way it's cooling down before she hits Texas.

wuvmybetta said:
What's the weather like there? Because I know Synirr is here in Texas and it's pretty darn warm already.

The smaller the box,the cheaper it will be. Try and get a mini cooler type of thing if possible. My lfs gives me these awesome teeny tiny coolers that the Hikari frozen food comes wrapped in. It's the perfect size for one or two bettas. I just stick that in the box if I'm only sending a couple. Otherwise you'll just want to line a box with newspaper and put the betta in the middle and pack balls of newspaper around and over her. If you do use a heatpack,put it on top of the newspaper before you close the box,this way it doesn't rest aside her and cook her. They reach 130+ degrees (they scare me). And yes,the hand warmers work nicely. That's what I use. I know you can get different sizes,some last 10 hours,others 24. I think a ten hour would be fine for an overnight trip. This way it's cooling down before she hits Texas.
Great! I'm going out tonight and will see what I can find. :)

I wish I had kept the box my 2 boys from you had come in, but I didn't think I'd be shipping fish! ;)

Thanks!!

One more thing that I just thought of: don't write live fish on the box. Just write Fragile,Careful, perishable,Avoid extreme temps etc all over it. I swear everytime I've written LIVE FISH the box has been lost for a day :/

wuvmybetta said:
One more thing that I just thought of: don't write live fish on the box. Just write Fragile,Careful, perishable,Avoid extreme temps etc all over it. I swear everytime I've written LIVE FISH the box has been lost for a day :/
Okay, I remember when I got my boys I wondered why it didn't say "Live Fish."
Then I thought, if some jerk read that they'd probably shake the box!

Kara101584 said:
Exactly. Some people :grr:

Here's how they look when I ship them out...
baggedfish.jpg

Try to put like 2/3 cup of water and the rest air. Make sure you knot the bag good,flip it over and slide it into another bag,then knot that. Don't feed her for like 12-24 hours before she leaves. You both should be good to go :thumbs:

wuvmybetta said:
Kara101584 said:
Exactly. Some people :grr:

Here's how they look when I ship them out...

Try to put like 2/3 cup of water and the rest air. Make sure you knot the bag good,flip it over and slide it into another bag,then knot that. Don't feed her for like 12-24 hours before she leaves. You both should be good to go :thumbs:
Thanks so much! She's a cutie, want to make sure she makes it safe and sound! :D

:whistle: When you ship them, do you completely fill the bag with air? Do you use an air pump to put the air in? I've always been wondering about this.
Thanks

Kara~ You'll both be fine & I'm glad I could help :thumbs:

nash~ I don't completely fill the bag with air, ya gotta leave knot room etc,and of course water :whistle: I'd say it's 3/4 air,1/4 water. And I don't use an oxygen pump,I use an air pump that is intended for blowing up ballons. You can get them at walmart for like 2.00, the kind with a million long ballons for making things,ya know what I mean?

wuvmybetta said:
And I don't use an oxygen pump,I use an air pump that is intended for blowing up ballons.
Why can't I one of the pumps I have for my air bubbles in my tank to fill up the bag?

That should work just fine. There is also a technique where you grab the bag a certain way and it instantly fills with air but I'm too klutzy to do that. I'd use pure oxygen if I could. My lfs has given me an open invitation to use theirs anytime,it's just too much trouble for me.

Most reactions

Back