Using Polystyrene For Base Of Rock Caves In A Malawi Setup?

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
I`m currently in the process of changing to a Malawi setup and was wondering if polystyrene can be used as a base for building rock caves?

I have a few of the oblong poly boxes in the loft and was thinking of possibly using the lids under the sand to hopefully give the rocks a better base instead of putting them straight onto the glass bottom of the tank. Is it ok to do this? :unsure: :unsure:

I like your desire to minimize waste material but I think you will find that polystyrene will float to well to work that way. If you want to distribute the weight of rocks in a tank without much hassle, try using the egg crate material that is used for lighting fixtures instead. It will spread the weight nicely and won't float while you are trying to arrange things in the tank.

Thanks OM :)

Just thought that it would not only minimise waste but keep costs down a bit. I wasn`t sure that if I covered the poly with sand and then placed the rocks on top it might have been a decent base to stop the rocks scratching the glass :/
I`ll have a look around for proper egg crate though :good:

I guess it`s a simple case of Rocks on top of the egg crate and then filling around it with sand?

I use tap washers glued on with a bit of silicon or superglue. There in contact with drinking water so they should be safe.

was going to answer but I see you have already got yourself some egg crating now. :good:

Most reactions

Back