Using Goldfish To Cycle New Tank

One guy told me to get some discus fish with the smaller fish another told me discus will eat the rasborras

I had to laugh at this. Discus eat rasboras? Mine live with harlequins and there is no way in heck they would ever succeed in eating one if they had the inclination to, which they don't. Discus have pretty small mouths; the rasboras are about ten times too big. They won't even bother eating molly fry (baby fish) because they'd rather wait for me to bring out the blackworms. :lol:

I'm sure he would have thought it a great sell to convince someone new to fish to purchase some of the most expensive and potentially finicky ones though. :rolleyes:

One guy told me to get some discus fish with the smaller fish another told me discus will eat the rasborras

I had to laugh at this. Discus eat rasboras? Mine live with harlequins and there is no way in heck they would ever succeed in eating one if they had the inclination to, which they don't. Discus have pretty small mouths; the rasboras are about ten times too big. They won't even bother eating molly fry (baby fish) because they'd rather wait for me to bring out the blackworms. :lol:

I'm sure he would have thought it a great sell to convince someone new to fish to purchase some of the most expensive and potentially finicky ones though. :rolleyes:
Cheers mate...should have known better...you are right the discus does have a bloody small mouth!....thats made me happy, really like to have a couple of discuss...thanks for the advice

Not really sure what the thoughts are about putting discus in a 30g. Perhaps Ostara or some other discus hobbiests could address this. I know that discus keeping has been carried to almost a high art form (kind of like the planted tank sub-hobby) but it may be that the worry is often overdone and people with good knowledge of these fish would indeed feel that a pair in a 30g could work (the stereotype I believe, Kiwi Clint, is that most Discus hobbyists are not beginners and have quite large tanks where the water has been fussed with more than the average hobbyist - it's that that I don't have the background to judge one way or the other.)

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back