Urban Turtle Emergency ID

Think, I'm coming for you and call him "Covid"
1010.JPG

It probably isnt a painted turtle due to the higher shape of the shell. If it's a red-eared slider, here is some info

Last edited:
Follow up:

So you all know how I found this turtle in a cracked 5 maybe 10 gallon tank on the side of a building near my house I drove by the tank and circled back around to check it out.
And I found the turtle. 🤩
Of course it was a mix of both excitement and also worried because I don't know how to take care of a turtle and obviously now I was responsible for this turtle because...well of course I couldn't just leave it there.
Initially I set it down in my driver's car seat while I got something from the back seat. I went to grab it. It was very fast and I couldn't find it. I looked and looked and looked and looked.
I went into work told my friend what happened she got very excited about it because she had had a turtle before.
I thought to myself what a miracle now I don't have to figure out how to take care of it and besides I have so much to take care of anyway I had no idea what I was going to do.
So she comes downstairs with me down to my car and we finally find the turtle.
She says, "this is the most beautiful turtle I've ever seen!" She's in love with the turtle, she's had a turtle as a pet before, and obviously she is going to take the turtle!

Choirs of Heavenly Angels Rejoice, I think to myself, musing upon the beauty of a world that would tidy up the turtle scenario so perfectly.

...so we go back upstairs to work and find a little thing to put the turtle in and I post the post trying to figure out what kind turtle it is...

And we begin to research the turtle.
Apparently in the US since 1975 turtles under 4 inches are illegal to buy or sell. I don't know all the specifics but that's how I understand the information.
The reason for this law
is that there is a chance that they will spread salmonella.

This in itself is not the end of the world because of course I found the turtle so I could not have broken the law.
We researched a little longer and apparently you have to have a license for this turtle. My friend, being undeterred, is still in love with this turtle. I continue to be thrilled that the turtle situation is under control.

There was a small distraction trying to figure out the issue of it being a juvenile Fortunatus Diamos, as @Oblio offered. I didn't find any information that linked Oblio's information regarding the type of turtle I had with an actual turtle.

I'm not sure what to make of that unless it was meant to be a joke?
Why a joke?
Several reasons.
The whole salmonella thing.
The whole illegality thing.
Or perhaps....
The fact that they require very specific care. I won't go into all the details...

By this time my friend's partner and roommate has vetoed the turtle. I can't say I blame her. I would never voluntarily taken on a pet like that, cute as it is.

My friend is currently taking care of it until she can either find someone to take as a pet or figure out if there is some sort of rescue for these types of turtles.

Is there anyone that can offer suggestions for us?

Last edited:
There was a small distraction trying to figure out the issue of it being a juvenile Fortunatus Diamos, as @Oblio offered.
My apologies for creating a distraction. Fortunatus Diemus, is Engineer Latin* for Lucky Day

* - Engineers hardly know English, let alone Latin

I am fairly certain it is a red ear slider. They are very common as pets. Where are you located? There is a rescue in my area that does turtles…

My apologies for creating a distraction. Fortunatus Diemus, is Engineer Latin* for Lucky Day

* - Engineers hardly know English, let alone Latin
It's okay. 😀
I didn't think it was a malicious joke. The idea of the Greek god of fear or dread, Diemos...twin brother of Panic...being fortunate was quite clever.
It kind of summed up how I felt very lucky to find the cute turtle, but, quite fittingly I was a bit panicked and fearful about how to take care of it.
My friend and I even joked about calling the turtle Jerry Garcia just as a pun or a riff on the Grateful Dead!

Alas, all jokes put aside (whether intended or not), this is a pretty serious situation, at least in my opinion. There is a little life to be considered.

Have yet to mention the anger I feel at whoever left that turtle out there. The tank was cracked all the gravel was dry you get the picture.
☹️😠😡🤬

I am fairly certain it is a red ear slider. They are very common as pets. Where are you located? There is a rescue in my area that does turtles…
I'm in Texas.
I agree it is definitely a red-eared slider, to the best of my knowledge anyway.
I can also see how they would be very desirable pets. They're adorable.
813736811892405000~2.jpg6217747303416872778~2.jpg
But they require bigger and bigger tanks as they grow, with complicated environments and equipment and lots of care.
Also the fact that they are illegal is problematic.

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_142140_01~2.jpg
    IMG_20211229_142140_01~2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 29
I didn't think it was a malicious joke. The idea of the Greek god of fear or dread, Diemos...twin brother of Panic...being fortunate was quite clever.

To be honest, I was stealing the French from Carpe Diem, but Diemos may work better

My friend and I even joked about calling the turtle Jerry Garcia just as a pun or a riff on the Grateful Dead!

Did you grab the Brokedown Palace that the little guy was in? Name his new home Terrapin Station, feed him live Crickets and Cicadas?

Note: I'm much better at Dead than Latin 💀:band:

Alas, all jokes put aside (whether intended or not), this is a pretty serious situation, at least in my opinion. There is a little life to be considered.

I'd ignore the law. I don't think you are violating the intent, and it's not like the turtle police will be 'no knocking' at your door. Years ago I rescued a desert tortoise in our neighborhood. We later found out that it was illegal to keep them. Oh well :whistle:
Have yet to mention the anger I feel at whoever left that turtle out there. The tank was cracked all the gravel was dry you get the picture.

I can imagine, I had the same angry feeling reading your OP.

When they're small, they're not that difficult to care for. But when they get larger, you will of course need a larger habitat for it. Maybe enjoy it for awhile and when it's above legal size, sell it on Craigslist.

When they're small, they're not that difficult to care for. But when they get larger, you will of course need a larger habitat for it. Maybe enjoy it for awhile and when it's above legal size, sell it on Craigslist.
Well like I said my friend was thrilled about getting a turtle; it was like a match made in heaven!
She has the wee thing now and I feel pretty sure she'll keep it for at least a while while until she can figure out the right thing to do!

I'd take care of it. Measure his shell and every inch of shell is equal to 10 gallons of water... So a 40g would be perfect for a grow out... At 12 inches at maximum length, the red ear slider will need at minimum, 120 gallons of space. Dont forget the land area!

I'd take care of it. Measure his shell and every inch of shell is equal to 10 gallons of water... So a 40g would be perfect for a grow out... At 12 inches at maximum length, the red ear slider will need at minimum, 120 gallons of space. Dont forget the land area!
Thanks, Rocky!
Honestly that would have been way too much for me. Of course I would have managed for as long as I can but after finding out its requirements I would have immediately tried to rehome it.
I just felt so lucky my friend fell in love with it right away and I think I mentioned she'd had a pet turtle before.
But everything is working out now I forgot to ask my friend to find out where it's going so we can get a picture every now and then😇

Most reactions

Back