Upside Down Catfish: Feeding

Tyler Lacroix

Reaction score
I tried feeding my upside down cats (got 3 of them 2 days ago, and other 3 today) freezedried brineshrimp, bloodworms, flakes and even wafers (hikari). A few of them do nibble on the brineshrimp stuff and wafers, but they don't really touch it. And even when they do want to eat the wafers, my striped raphael smells it and eats them all up! (hence why he's so fat). How do i make sure the little guys don't starve?

side note: The water levels are fine, and i do water changes daily or once every two days. the fish arent hiding, and they all race around the tank 24/7. very active, just...not sure if they're eating.

If their stomachs are slightly rounded, they are eating. Try frozen instead of freeze dried foods. They will also graze on the algae and bio-film growing on the decor.

If their stomachs are slightly rounded, they are eating. Try frozen instead of freeze dried foods. They will also graze on the algae and bio-film growing on the decor.

Only one of them have a really round belly, cuz it was the one that actually paid attention to the brineshrimp. I'll switch to frozen then. thanks

Get some floating food, these catfish evolved to swim upside down so that they could feed from the water surface, my 11 love Hikari Cichlid Gold (baby) pellets. I also add other food to the tank (Tetra Prima; algae wafer, pleco wafer etc.), but none of their tankmates are capable of eating the floating pellets.

Your six may well appear to be eating little because some fish do take days to settle in and start eating after the tramatic move from the fish store tank.

Get some floating food, these catfish evolved to swim upside down so that they could feed from the water surface, my 11 love Hikari Cichlid Gold (baby) pellets. I also add other food to the tank (Tetra Prima; algae wafer, pleco wafer etc.), but none of their tankmates are capable of eating the floating pellets.

Your six may well appear to be eating little because some fish do take days to settle in and start eating after the tramatic move from the fish store tank.

I don't like to have floating food because it gets kinda messy for me. But my problem pretty much fixed itself, I fed them algae wafers today, and there was a huge epic feast, and all of them ended with a round belly. So I think you're right, they just needed time to settle in. And it's a good thing too, cuz my fatass striped raphael doesn't like the algae wafers, hence no stealing :)

Most reactions

Back