Upgrading To Larger Tank

melh1979

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I wondered if I could get some advice please on how to upgrade to a larger tank without having cycling issues.

We have a Jewel Rekord 70 litre tank with 5 lemon tetras, 3 platies, 6 bandit cories and 4 ottos. We are planning on ditching this tank (it wasn't new when we got it at Christmas and has seen better days) and getting either a Fluval Roma 240l or a Jewel Rio 240l.

If we get the Jewel - do we just set it up so we're ready for fish, move the filter media into the new tank and then move the fish straight away (or move the fish and then the filter media?)

If we get the Fluval - it comes with an external filter so do we somehow run this on the old tank for a period of time before moving it and the fish over to the new tank? Or is it possible to move the filter media from the Jewel filter into the Fluval filter and then move the fish?

Can we move the fish straight away as we are using mature filter media or should we move half the media and do a fishless cycle before moving the fish? We are obvisously planning on adding more fish so do we do this slowly over time and can they be added at the same time or soon after the current fish?

As you can see I'm a little confused so any guidance would be most appreciated! :) Thanks!

sorry, but idon't think you're going to be able to avoid cycling. Moving your filter media will lessen the time, however i don't think i'ts a wise idea to put water, filter media and fish in all in one afternoon. Keep the old tank until the new one has cycled, take a bit of the old filter media n put it in with the new, and wait it out and test the waters to make sure it is cycling properly. Some ppl who do it with filter media says it can take a few days, some a couple of weeks. I wouldn't advise trying to skip it...i've lost alot of fish cause i didn't cycle lol good luck :)

I would have no problem swapping fish water and media from an established tank into a new tank all in one go and have done so many times but then Ive been keeping fish for decades and dont keep tanks which are running on the limits.

With a good well balanced aquarium it would have no side effects whatsoever if the filter is struggling or the fish are slightly stressed already it can cause a disaster.

thinking about it, moving your old filter to the bigger tank (if it would handl that) and syphoning the same water from one tank to the other along with maybe a few of the plants if you have any or some of the substrate, might not be a bad idea!

Yeah we're planning on using most of the substate and the plants in the new tank. If we get the Jewel tank it's easy to move the filter media but if we get a Fluval one it would be trickier as it comes with an external filter.

Thanks for the help :)

Personally Im more of a fan of external filters than juwel ones, more flexibity for later uses, and I think the juwel filters are ugly. but many cannister filters allow you to carry different types of media and you can improvise to make things fit, a matured sponge filter pad can be cut up and put inside the baskets of a cannister filter etc etc!

I agree - I prefer the Fluval one and would like an external filter for the reasons you stated but hubby thinks the Jewel ones are easier! I will have a look on the Fluval website to see if it can give me info on the filters and see what they look like inside!

so rather than start a whole new thread i'll just ask a question in here as it relates. I'm also upgrading to a larger set up, a 10 to a 30 gallon tank. would my current aquaclear 20 filter be good enough for the 30 gallon?

One thing I would recommend is at least checking the new tank for any leaks before getting ready to do the transfer!

You shouldn't experience a mini-cycle as long as the bio-load stays the same...i.e. don't add any new fish for a bit.

would my current aquaclear 20 filter be good enough for the 30 gallon?

Not really. You won't have a very good turn over JUST using the old filter. I would recommend buying a secondary filter and running both the new and old filter on the same tank. It's always nice to have a back-up filter.

sounds good, thanks for the advice. the guy who i'm getting it form is actually going to throw 3 new filters in with the tank for me so I should be all set.

I pretty much agree that you should be fine moving everything at once. If you place the media from the old filter into the new filter, you will lose some of you bacteria that would have maybe been on the walls of the ohter filter or in the cartridge but it won't be enough to be an issue. Even if you lost half you bacteria which you won't, it would double in about 24 hours to be back to full strength.

Moving the water doesn't help as far as moving bacteria but it keeps the fish in the same water they have been in and prevents having to o through an acclimation process. I would suggest moving all the water and then finish flling with clean water. Check your tap and tank pH before you do to make sure there isn't a big difference as even moving all the water will still be almost the equivalent of doing a 70 to 75 percent water change. If the difference in pH is too great, you could cause problems for the fish. If it that is the case, fill the tank very slowly using drip method

As long as the filter is adequately providing bio filtration for the existing fish, and the water parameters of the old tank & nes tanks are the same or nearly so, you should be fine. I move angels as the grow from smaller tanks to larger ones, along with their filter. They hatch in a 2.5, and get a mature sponge filter from another tank. After 5-7 days they go in a 10 or 15, along with their sponge filter. A few weeks later into a 29, then spilt between a couple 29's, or into a 55 or 150.

For adult fish, don't feed for 24 hours before the move, less food means less waste produced. After the move feed lightly for a few days, about half normal. A mature colony of nitrifying bacteria can double in 24 hours, so by feeding less you give your bacteria a chance to catch up, it's easy insurance just in case there is a bit of bacterial die off.

Thanks for all the advice it's really helpful. :)

Just something I was wondering - if you move the same number of fish from a smaller tank into a larger tank and use the same filter media will some of the bacteria die off because the waste the fish produce is more dilute in the larger tank? Or does it not work like that?

I am also upgrading from a small tank 60L juwel to a 300Ljuwel tanks has been set up a couple of days water has cleared, I transferred half the mature media from the 60L had a back up fluval already cycled which has gone in and added bactinettes yesterday to help the bacteria colony (big beliver in overkill when moving fish) plan to add fish today if readings are all good. plant food resulted in a low ammonia reading which has now cleared to 0 I have ammonia on hand to feed the filters if necessary but I am hoping the fish wil do the job for me. Bactinettes have had some great results I have read on here it is just taking the plunge and adding all the fish at once that worries me lol hence the mature media and back up filter.

Thanks for all the advice it's really helpful. :)

Just something I was wondering - if you move the same number of fish from a smaller tank into a larger tank and use the same filter media will some of the bacteria die off because the waste the fish produce is more dilute in the larger tank? Or does it not work like that?
I guess in essence what you are thinking could be true because the food will be brought to them more slowly since the waste is diluted and it my not take as much bacteria to handle it all but it should not cause a problem in the tank.

Most reactions

Back