Upgrading Tanks - Which One?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lisa1981

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need advice with regards to the new tank. We have space restrictions so can only get 4 ft wide and 22 in deep max. I am swithering between 2 - Aqua One Aquience R 1200R or Juwel Rio 300. Does anyone have any experience of these tanks? Or would anyone recommend one over the other?

The aqua one acquience 1200R is a great tank. I have had one since new for over a year now and no issues at all. The build and finish quality is top class. Mine is in the beech finish and it looks good with the brushed aluminium. It is also a tall tank for its length and definatly as a presence in the room. I am looking at getting the 1800 at some point I am that impressed.

It also comes with four T5 39w lights. I only use two, but if you wanted a planted setup then you would almost certain have enough light available.

The cabinet is also a decent size. I have two 405s in mine and there is still ample room for extras and a nice shelf in the middle for books etc.

I have had a juwel Rio before and they are great tanks also, but I think that the finish on the aqua one aquience is better and more modern , especially with the aluminium trim.

Thanks so much for that, its exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Whilst browsing the tanks I remembered that the Rio will come with internal filter and I would have to remove this as I'd use my already cycled externals. I have 2 x Aqua One 1200's which are currently running on my other tanks. Would I need both of them or would one be enough?

I've just upgraded to the Juwel Rio 300 and I couldn't be happier! Everything was very easy and simple to set up and it comes with a 3year warranty which is awesome, plus its German built (unsure about Aqua One), and I've had a Juwel in the past with no issues what so ever. Take a look at my journal link below for my process :)

Good luck with your choice, theres so many!

You would definatly need both on it. I got one of the 1250 aquis filters with mine and it was no where near enough. That filter is on my hillstream tank now. Great filter but not enough flow for a big tank. I imagine the 1200 are almost the same filter, so two should be great though.

Aqua one tanks are shipped from australia/south east asia and therefore aren't that common, and are even less so since they hiked up their prices a few years ago, therefore if you were ever to need new parts, they may well be hard to come by. - that would be my only concern

Normally I would go with jewel over AO anyway but tbf the acquiesce range are of very good quality.

I'm currently running a Juwel Vision 180 and an Aqua One 620T so I have experience of both makes. I prefer the Juwel but only because the 620T is quite plastically but the Aquience range is totally different quality. My big concern with the Juwel is the internal filter, I hate them. I removed the internal from my Vision 180 but then it was second hand when I bought it so I didn't have much invested in it. I have concerns about removing the internal from a brand new tank. Hhhhmmm decisions, decisions.

What kind of price have you seen them for? I got a really good deal on my 1200R so bargains can be found.

Iv got a Juwel Rio 400 and have had 4 other Juwel tanks in the past, which were 2 smaller Rios and 2 visions and newer had a problem with any of them. Can't think of anything I could fault them on and if Juwel made a bigger tank than than the Rio 400 I'd definitely buy it Awesome tanks :good:

Definately Aqua One all the way! The tanks are far nicer and without the hassel of having to slice the useless Juwel internal filter out of it (marking the glass?).

As for spare parts... both Maidenhead Aquatics and Pets @ Home deal with Aqua One on a regular basis, either company ought to be able to get in the parts you need from Aqua One, well... MA anyway, can't speak for Pets@Home...

Just to let you know that I went for the Aqua One in the end. I bought it from Seapets and paid just under £700 for it which seemed the standard price. I didn't really have time to shop around much so I hope I haven't been ripped off. If I have, don't tell me :/ I needed it in a hurry and ordered it last Tuesday and it said dispatched within 2 days and its still not here. Really buggering up my plan to move my tanks and time is running out since we rent our old house next week (where my tanks currently are).

New tanks are expensive so I would expect to pay around that sort of price. Although that does seem a bit much. That's why I don't buy tanks new anymore

I got my 450 litre Rio 400 like new with stand 2nd hand with the original receipt of purchase with an fx5 filter (again with receipt) sand, bogwood, 2 x 300 watt heaters and some other bits for £200 and the guy delivered it to me in with the price. New they are around the £750 mark. Il be paying £890 for my 800 litre 8 x 2 x 2 new from ND Aquatics

Just to let you know that I went for the Aqua One in the end. I bought it from Seapets and paid just under £700 for it which seemed the standard price. I didn't really have time to shop around much so I hope I haven't been ripped off. If I have, don't tell me :/ I needed it in a hurry and ordered it last Tuesday and it said dispatched within 2 days and its still not here. Really buggering up my plan to move my tanks and time is running out since we rent our old house next week (where my tanks currently are).

I paid £480 for mine (same model) with all the trimmings brand new. It was in a sale though.

Good choice, you will love it.

Most reactions

Back