Upgrading From Fluval 205 To Fluval 305 Or 306

Saltcod

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I've just acquired a larger tank which comes with a (leaking!) fluval 205. I'm going to try and get a new rubber sealing ring this evening and see if that fixes the leak. I tried vaseline on the current one but no joy and to me the rubber seal seems a bit loose. Anyway, it's a 190 litre tank so i'm thinking of upgrading to the next size filter. If I do upgrade from my 205, can I literally just use the lever to lift the existing hoses off the top of the filter and fit the new filter straight on? Would this work for both the 305 and 306?

Also, I haven't worked out when I need to use the priming lever. Once connected I just pulled the black lever down so the filter filled with water. According to the instructions I can then just plug it in... I can't see any mention of having to prime it!

Hi, I've just acquired a larger tank which comes with a (leaking!) fluval 205. I'm going to try and get a new rubber sealing ring this evening and see if that fixes the leak. I tried vaseline on the current one but no joy and to me the rubber seal seems a bit loose. Anyway, it's a 190 litre tank so i'm thinking of upgrading to the next size filter. If I do upgrade from my 205, can I literally just use the lever to lift the existing hoses off the top of the filter and fit the new filter straight on? Would this work for both the 305 and 306?

Also, I haven't worked out when I need to use the priming lever. Once connected I just pulled the black lever down so the filter filled with water. According to the instructions I can then just plug it in... I can't see any mention of having to prime it!

I have Fluval 190 liter corner tank which came new with a fluval 205, and i have the the older 204 running on the tank as well.
Ive never had to prime the 205, it runs straight away, but the 204 is a b1tch to get going, and you have to prime the pump like crazy. To look at, both filters are exactly the same except colour.
My 204 started to leake last week, replaced the big rubber seal £6 of ebay, and all fine now.
As for the fitting on top of the filter, i belive the 305/306 fitting is a little bigger. So you may have to swap the pipes over. But should not be much of a problem. just take them out of the tank, or you may end up with water everywhere

Steve

I had a bit of bother with my 205 last weekend, I haven't had the top off for a while and when I put it back on it was leaking.

It took me ages to get it to stop, had the lid on and off loads of times. I ended up putting the whole filter in a bucket to catch the leaks. On the Fluval website it recommends not to use Vaseline cos it rots the seal. I used a bit of cooking oil.

Just make sure the inside of the filter housing is really clean, make sure there's nothing on the sides at the top as this is where the seal sits. If it hasn't been off for a while then there could be a build up where the seal was sitting before. When you put the top back on make sure you push it down nice and hard, this is what seemed to finally work on mine.

I bought a new seal off ebay for under 6 quid but I haven't put it in yet cos the old one isn't leaking anymore!

I would say replace it now if you have it. My mates leaked a little, he put the filter in a bucket. Fine for a week or so. Then one morning found all the carpet wet, and tank 1/4 empty, water p*ssing out of the filter. It got worse over night.

Steve

Still waiting for seal to arrive. Have managed to slow down the leak by padding out the rubber seal with a couple of rubber bands underneath. Have also read that the top bit of the filter is the same part for the 205 and 305 so even though the pipes are slightly diff sizes I could simply keep the 205 hoses and fit the stop lock thingy (can't remember it's proper name) directly on to a new 305 filter box.

Just an update in case anyone else in same situation. I ordered a fluval 405 in the end as it was only £8 more than the 305. The Aquastop from the 205 fitted straight on it, so no need to mess about with changing hoses etc. :good:

Most reactions

Back