Upgrade For The General

JohnnyD

Reaction score
Hey all.

So I deceided to do a little upgrade for my betta. I went out and bought a 1.5 gal tank w/filter. It's pretty sharp looking and it is set up. I haven't put The General in yet even though the water has been treated for 24 hrs (I had planned on doing a water change tonight). I want to let the filter get to it. Plus I don't want to shock him.

My questions would be; Is it really necessary for a tank this small to have a filter? Perhaps go without? I notice at the top of the water, it's a little choppy due to the filter. Would that freak him out? Maybe the vibration would be too much? :crazy:

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone how has given me pointers. As I am brand new to the world of fish. This site has been amazing for help. :good:

I would post pictures of the little guy, but, I don't own a digital camera. Just my awful camera phone.

Thanks again!!

Do you intend to cycle the new filter, otherwise your betta will be poisoned by its own waste matter (ammonia).

I would read cycling a tank before you put your fish in the new set up, check in the beginners section on this site...i'm sure all the info is in there.

Cycling is just a fancy word used to describe a simple process.

Bacteria grow in your filter, this is normal and very healthy for your tank. These bacteria will break down the dangerous waste matter produced by your fish into nitrate that is that bit safer for your fish to have in your tank. (water changes keep nitrates low and at a safe level)

Read about cycling, it is a vital process...really really cant stress that enough.

Do you intend to cycle the new filter, otherwise your betta will be poisoned by its own waste matter (ammonia).

I would read cycling a tank before you put your fish in the new set up, check in the beginners section on this site...i'm sure all the info is in there.

Cycling is just a fancy word used to describe a simple process.

Bacteria grow in your filter, this is normal and very healthy for your tank. These bacteria will break down the dangerous waste matter produced by your fish into nitrate that is that bit safer for your fish to have in your tank. (water changes keep nitrates low and at a safe level)

Read about cycling, it is a vital process...really really cant stress that enough.
there are also ways to cut the current of the filter in that page too. my fish liked his but he overswam it and blew his fins out. I'm currently medicating so no filter and trying to decide which one to switch too. I may cycle a new filter in one tank while the fish is in hospital tank. what ever you decide about the filter, fish love bubbles so see about an airstone

Alright, well so much for the filter. It broke about an hour after I started it up. :crazy: I was thinking of returning it, but, I already assembled it and it looks pretty good even without the filter. Plus, it was a pretty good price for it (about $20.00). The water that was in it was already treated and at room temp. So, I eased my betta in to the tank. He didn't take the change very well. He was flipping out and swimming back and forth on one side of the tank. Kind of bumping up against the side of the tank. :unsure:

I did notice this morning that he had calmed down a little bit, and ate his breakfast like it was his last meal. But he is still a little agitated it looks and his fins seem to be a little dishevled. Almost a little frayed. I did buy some aquarium salt, and melafix. Can I add both to the current water with the betta in? I don't want to do a water change again, this will be the second in 3 days. Once was the normal weekly change and the other was last night for the new tank. The tank is 1.5 gal.

Any advice would be great. I don't want the little guy to get sick...

All my boys are in non-filtered 1.5g tanks, you don't have to cycle them, bettas go straight into fresh dechlorinated tap water warmed to about 80 degrees, then each week you change out their water and start over.

You only need to cycle a tank if you intend on filtering it, otherwise it's pointless! Bettas are very clean and if you feed them live foods or small numbers of pellets each day there will be no food waste at all, then you can get a long nosed pipette or a small baster and each day you can suck out the poop so the ammonia levels stays incredibly low as long as they get their fresh water each week they will be fine and very happy indeed.

Not for bettas in a non-filtered tank it's not, a tank of 1.5 gallons is too small to filter or cycle, you would need to change out the water every week, so cycling it is pointless as you'd be changing out the water mid-cycle. Bettas breathe through a labryinth organ unlike other fish they take the air in through their mouths above the surface of the water and not through their gills so they do not get affected by small amounts of ammonia the same way a guppy for example would do.

What about the fin issues. Is the melafix ok to add with the Betta in there? Same with salt?

Thanks!!!

Melafix should be added at half the recommended dose as Bettas are quite sensitive to it.
I'm all for having a filter in the tank and as someone else said, there are different ways to stem the flow.
I don't agree with Bettas not being affected by ammonia, they are affected the same as any other fish. Even though they can breathe air, they will still be taking ammonia into their bodies.

Ok, thanks. I'll go and add a tiny bit of Melafix to help his fins out. I am hoping he has calmed down a little bit when I get home. :unsure: How long does it take for the fins to start re-generating?

Thanks

When one of my boys had nipped fins, it took about 2 weeks before I started to see any regrowth.
Good luck and let us know how you get on! :good:

Melafix should be added at half the recommended dose as Bettas are quite sensitive to it.
I'm all for having a filter in the tank and as someone else said, there are different ways to stem the flow.
I don't agree with Bettas not being affected by ammonia, they are affected the same as any other fish. Even though they can breathe air, they will still be taking ammonia into their bodies.

But if you keep up with regular water changes there shouldn't even be time to develop any ammonia and since you can lift and empty a 1.5 gallon tank there's nothing better than fresh water every week

With regular water changes, the water should stay clear but simple things like uneaten food are enough to cause a small amount of ammonia/nitrite.
With a filter, a water change of about 10-20% a week is suffice and should keep any toxins at bay.

Most reactions

Back