Update My Light No Co2

kaboke

Reaction score
I orderd a new lightfixture for my 29 g its a Corallife freshwater aqualight 1x65w tis would give me 2.24wpg and would give me some more choices for plants tis is the first time that i'm going into live plants and i'm a little confused about the co2 do I need this or can i try without co2 ??
my idea is that i try some plants in this 29g because I'm completly new to this Freshwater hobby and then eventualy in a year or so upgrade the aqaurium to a 90g heavely planted with co2 and 3or more wpg this would give me more time to read the topics and would give me some more experience with planting the aqaurium

Kaboke :rolleyes:

can you give me the link to the light fixture for 29g? pm or on here is fine. is it from a uk or us seller. im trying to make my 29g a planted tank but having problims getting enough light.

and for the co2 it completly depends on the plants you get.

At that level of lighting I am thinking you will need CO2. 2WPG, if I recall, is a general figure at which point you need a variety of other criteria in place to avoid algae. Unfortunately, once you reach this level of lighting you can`t afford to approach things half hearted. Algae could be a big problem, so you will need to have a lot of fast growers along with the CO2 and fertilisers. If I were you, I would read the pinned topics at the top of this forum. You should find all the info you need to start you off on the road to planted tanks.

I am new to this hobby, but I soon discovered that as far as lighting is concerned, you either steer clear of high levels of light, or you commit fully to what is required for 2WPG or more.

can you give me the link to the light fixture for 29g? pm or on here is fine. is it from a uk or us seller. im trying to make my 29g a planted tank but having problims getting enough light.

and for the co2 it completly depends on the plants you get.

www.marineandreef.com
that is the site where I orderd my lightfixture

Kaboke

At that level of lighting I am thinking you will need CO2. 2WPG, if I recall, is a general figure at which point you need a variety of other criteria in place to avoid algae. Unfortunately, once you reach this level of lighting you can`t afford to approach things half hearted. Algae could be a big problem, so you will need to have a lot of fast growers along with the CO2 and fertilisers. If I were you, I would read the pinned topics at the top of this forum. You should find all the info you need to start you off on the road to planted tanks.

I am new to this hobby, but I soon discovered that as far as lighting is concerned, you either steer clear of high levels of light, or you commit fully to what is required for 2WPG or more.

After reading a lot in the planted section here i think i'm going to try this instead of a verry expensieve presured system to start with
Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with co2 from petsmart
I hope that this is going to give me some co2 to prevent algae outbreak i'm also new so i now that i have a lot to learn but i feel that registring to this site is going to help me a lot :blush:

Kaboke :rolleyes:

In a system with lots of light and nutrients we are just asking for an algae outbreak. I run such a system. Your best line of defence is masses of fast growing plants. Once you have won the battle you can cut back on the fast growing weeds and introduce plants of your choice.

Personally, I have no experience of fermentation systems, but many people on the planted forum with more knowledge and experience than me use them very successfully.

Just make sure you plant heavily and give these plants every advantage over the algae. I also use Otos and algae eating shrimp.

I've used the RedSea fermentation system all along (its much like the Hagen) and it has worked fantastically. My tank (20g, 4 wpg) looks wonderful. My only suggestion would be not to buy the canister refills they sell (they are just sugar and yeast and cost a bundle). Just go to the grocer and buy regular cane sugar and dry active yeast (in the baking section). Then, before you add the cansiter you get with the system to the fermentation bottle, measure how much sugar is in it (probably around 1/3 - 1/2 cup). The yeast will be around 1 teaspoon regadless. (This is a pretty important step, because then you know how much "activator" the bottle was designed to hold). Write these measurements down for future use. Once the original canister runs out, just make your own for half a dollar or less.

Mike

Oh also, I have the same Coralife fixture. Love it. Generates a lot of heat though, so take that into account. You can buy a stand for it if you think you need to. I've done fine without it.

I've used the RedSea fermentation system all along (its much like the Hagen) and it has worked fantastically. My tank (20g, 4 wpg) looks wonderful. My only suggestion would be not to buy the canister refills they sell (they are just sugar and yeast and cost a bundle). Just go to the grocer and buy regular cane sugar and dry active yeast (in the baking section). Then, before you add the cansiter you get with the system to the fermentation bottle, measure how much sugar is in it (probably around 1/3 - 1/2 cup). The yeast will be around 1 teaspoon regadless. (This is a pretty important step, because then you know how much "activator" the bottle was designed to hold). Write these measurements down for future use. Once the original canister runs out, just make your own for half a dollar or less.

Mike

Oh also, I have the same Coralife fixture. Love it. Generates a lot of heat though, so take that into account. You can buy a stand for it if you think you need to. I've done fine without it.
Thanks for the reply's it seems that i'm on the right track :fun:
and for the coralife fixture I also bought the extension legs
and i'm definetly going with the self made mixture I.have yeast in the house all the time :hey:

Kaboke :lol:

I have the same set up as you with the same light fixture. My tank has been running for a year now and I'm seeing good results. I would definatley start by planting heavily with fast growers light Hygrophilias. I'm went the diy route using 2 - 2 litre bottles and I change one bottle every week to keep things stable. I wouldn't bother using the Hagen system, but that's my opinion.

John

For your size tank, I would also consider hooking up two Hagen canisters to one bubble ladder via a t-conncector and then alternate changing them. I would also use your own sugar/yeast mix and don't use the packets that come with the Hagen system. I would use 1/2 tsp of Yeast for 1/2 cup of sugar. With both mixes, that should give you about a bubble per second, which should be enough to reduce the risk of algae. Two mixes will also be a lot more stable, since you won't have a lag period, since there will always be one system running. You can use DIY and make your own and it will work great, but I intensly dislike the look of soda bottles near my aquarium :lol: , so I opted to spend just a little money and get the Hagen canisters, they are prettier, IMO. :lol:

In addition to planting a copious amount of unsightly aquatic weeds (50-75% of substrate covered, I prefer more near 80% personally), you will have to give serious thought to adding additional fertilisers and consider a method for dosing them. There is a pinned article on EI (the Estimative Index) in this forum, but there could be other newer methods. I apologize, it's been over a year since I've kept a high-tech tank running and I'm not up to speed on the latest trends. You have to find the best one for your particular tank profile. Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing pictures of your tank.

llj

For your size tank, I would also consider hooking up two Hagen canisters to one bubble ladder via a t-conncector and then alternate changing them. I would also use your own sugar/yeast mix and don't use the packets that come with the Hagen system. I would use 1/2 tsp of Yeast for 1/2 cup of sugar. With both mixes, that should give you about a bubble per second, which should be enough to reduce the risk of algae. Two mixes will also be a lot more stable, since you won't have a lag period, since there will always be one system running. You can use DIY and make your own and it will work great, but I intensly dislike the look of soda bottles near my aquarium :lol: , so I opted to spend just a little money and get the Hagen canisters, they are prettier, IMO. :lol:

In addition to planting a copious amount of unsightly aquatic weeds (50-75% of substrate covered, I prefer more near 80% personally), you will have to give serious thought to adding additional fertilisers and consider a method for dosing them. There is a pinned article on EI (the Estimative Index) in this forum, but there could be other newer methods. I apologize, it's been over a year since I've kept a high-tech tank running and I'm not up to speed on the latest trends. You have to find the best one for your particular tank profile. Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing pictures of your tank.

llj
WOW I did some reading on that article about the EI its seems dificult :shout: I think I'm going to read that a couple times more
Then another silly question you have 2 canisters how do you start that with one and then setting op the other like the next day ???

Kaboke

think of something else :blush: do you run the co2 canisters 24 hours ??? if not how do you stop it at night ???

Thanks kaboke :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back