Update:( 3 Fish Dead..another On The Way Out

Squishiebabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm just going to list this to make reading much faster.
4 days ago
Bolivian Ram starts acting weird. He hides, swims kinda out of balance. Everything in the tank was as normal as can be as far as I know.
I find him stuck to the filter a few hours later. After that he just gets worse and worse, cant seem to stay off the bottom, and stays in a "U" shape and flails around every once in awhile. By next afternoon, he was dead.
1 Day After
I noticed my gold gourami wasnt as active and his scales looked funny. I read that it was most likely Dropsy, but he acted pretty much the same as my Ram did, except the ram's scales were perfectly fine. He still came up to feed eagerly, and just seemed really off balance like the other fish, but was constantly trying to swim normally and avoid the other fish and plants. I found him stuck to the filter twice. He still seemed okay, and then yesterday, he died.
Today.
I'm now noticing, that my one platy is really really skinny, and it seems like overnight basically that he got this way. his gills were always a little pink, but i figured it was cuz he's white and already pretty transparent, that he was okay. He was looking pretty unactive at the top of the tank, but when i tried to get these pictures of him he seemed to be normal again. Anyway here are some pics, tell me what the best course of action would be.
Tank Occupants (30 gal, established for 4 months so far)
3 Male Platy
6 glowlight tetra
5 cherry barbs
1 bristlenose plec

Some have been off balance.
One bloated up but no stick out scales.
One went in a u shape did the spine bend.
One gone skinny.
Looking at tb to internal parasites.
What does look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.

Where the pics.

I havent seen it go to the bathroom.
They only seem to get a U shape after they get stuck to the filter, which i think is part of that maybe
It seemed like their head was the weight, the fish constantly were 'nosediving' and laying sideways on the bottom trying to move and breathe.
only the gourami's scales stuck out, and the ram looked no different except at the end when he went into a U shape

Could be looking at tb if a fish has gone skinny and one had dropsy.
Just want to make sure that the fish was still eating when it went skinny.

san0002.jpg

yep, they all ate normally...I'm trying to get the rest of the pics just 1 min

The gills look inflamed to ne.
Are any of the fish flicking and rubbing, or swimming in a jerky movement.

well no flicking, but I'm not sure about 'jerky' swimming because the tetras have always seemed pretty jumpy when I'm near the tank

san0006.jpg

san0005.jpg

san0004.jpg

The gills do they look red and inflamed to you.
One does look odd thin and abit of bending.

I would try and get hold of clout a med.

yeah its only the platy I'm worried about....his belly does look really weird in the 2nd pic...and i tried to get a front view, cuz hes barely there at all.....I just want to know how to save the rest of my fish, cuz it seems like its contagious or something considering 2 of my healthiest fish(I thought?) just up and died so quickly

The gill dosn't look right to me flukes can cause a fish to go thin, and alos labour breath, flick and rub, and swim oddly.
Clout
Manufacturer: Aquarium Products
A very strong and effective medication for parasitic and protozoan infestations. Treats: Ich, Hydra, leeches, Planaria, Epistylis, Trichodina, Hexamita,Tetrahy-mena, body fungus, digenetic flukes, parasitic copepods, monogenetic flukes and anchor worms.

Sterlise some tweezers get a magifying glass.
Wrap the fish in a cloth soaked in tank water.
Pull the gills flap up and take a look with the magifying glass to see if you can see any worms behind the gill.
Might need someone to help you hold the fish down in the cloth.

okay well I will have to go tomorrow afternoon...is there anything else you suggest I pick up while I'm there? I've had advice from you befire about internal parasites as well, and I just want to know of theres anything that I can do about that because it always seems that I have problems similar to their symptoms, and I've started over a few times, it only seems that my platies and gouramies are affected

Did you medicate for internal parasites.
Got to go now but will be back on later.
To be honest that platy dosn't look right at all to me, you can get internal flukes as well as outside flukes.

I thought there really wasnt much you can do cuz at the time the worms were right out of the platy and I could see them so...I'll go to the petstore tomorrow....I'm going to take pics of my other platies too and you can see the difference...I'll add them on in a bit

Most reactions

Back