Unusual Freshwater fish for a 12.5 gallon (us)?

VladVenger

Reaction score
I am currently looking at dwarf puffers but also looking for other options.
I dont mind a species only tank or even just one fish.
Looking for something that is a little less common. Tank will be planted.
Thanks in advance.

Shell dwelling african cichlids would do perfectly in that size tank. You could have a single pair and then they will create a little colony when the spawn. You will have to give the babies away once they start maturing though, don't wanna over run the tank.

P.S they like to dig so perhaps have plants that attach to rocks would be better for the shellies.

Another option is wild-type bettas. Depending on the species, they can also live in colonies or single pairs. Mouth brooders will probably spawn for you if they are happy, which I'm sure they would be in a planted tank with some driftwood releasing tannin.

I've kept Dwarf Puffer and Irrubesco puffer before. I personally like Irrubesco puffer more

Can you give us you water parameters please? PH is the water soft or hard that type of thing. Once we know that then its time to consider fish.

Some wild type Bettas can be expensive and rare like Betta Macrostoma a few years ago they were $250 a pair.

I haven't tested myself yet but water provider says hardness us 15dh and PH is around neutral.

Scarlet Basis? I'm getting some tomorrow hopefully, they're really nice. Or perhaps one of the rarer darios? Like D.Hysginon or D.Kajal. Although you would probably need to lower your hardness for those.

Alternatively, you could get Clown Killies? They're nice.

Badis* not Basis. Stupid auto-correct phone.

I would recommend the Gold ring Danio (sometimes called the Tinwini or the celestial pearl Danio. Your tank is big enough for a scholl of each. I don't know how they would interact.

Most reactions

Back