Unknown Organisms On Glass

sarahjane85

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I've recently noticed these tiny organisms attatched to my glass. They look like what can only be described as thin trees with flailing 'branches'. Some of them have other 'trees' growing off them. They look like some kind of filter feeding worm. I watched them and one caught a particle and the tentacle retracted so it could feed on it.

Anyone know what they are?

I also have what looks like planaria but without such a noticeable 'arrow' shaped head. I also have a population of copepods.

Obviously I'm no expert and just wondered if any of these were harmful or were a result of 'bad house keeping' by myself! Any advice and knowledge appreciated!

Hey everyone

I've recently noticed these tiny organisms attatched to my glass. They look like what can only be described as thin trees with flailing 'branches'. Some of them have other 'trees' growing off them. They look like some kind of filter feeding worm. I watched them and one caught a particle and the tentacle retracted so it could feed on it.

Anyone know what they are?

I think they are called Hydra

I also have what looks like planaria but without such a noticeable 'arrow' shaped head. I also have a population of copepods.

Obviously I'm no expert and just wondered if any of these were harmful or were a result of 'bad house keeping' by myself! Any advice and knowledge appreciated!

Copepods, nothing to worry about, fish will eat them

Hydra are awesome. They are biologically immortal, and are basically like little freshwater anemones.

You even get green ones that live with algae in their cells, the algae can photosynthesise feeding the hydra - just like actual marine photosynthetic anemones and corals.

The only harm they possibly pose is to tiny egg layer fry, for example they would be undesirable if you were trying to breed tetras or something, also new born shrimp of some very small species. Otherwise they are harmless and interesting critters.

How can you get rid of hydra though ?
Flubendazole 5% powder.
Got an infestation once from floating plant introduction.
Safe even in fry tanks at the correct dosage
Hydra melt before your eyes
ATB
C

Flubendazole 5% powder.
ATB
C
Got some dog wormer today from supermarket, treated all tanks especially the tank with Hydra, that tank looks as though they are going and will treat again at the weekend to make sure.

Can only think this has been caused by my recent acquasition of corry's, just glad I put them in their own tank.. now I know why they didn't look good. :angry:

Thanks Col

Hydra wont hurt corys...unless they are cory fry. I've seen my adult bronze corys eat hydra...

Flubendazole 5% powder.
ATB
C
Got some dog wormer today from supermarket, treated all tanks especially the tank with Hydra, that tank looks as though they are going and will treat again at the weekend to make sure.

Can only think this has been caused by my recent acquasition of corry's, just glad I put them in their own tank.. now I know why they didn't look good. :angry:

Thanks Col

Ah crikey I would have paid you to ship some of the little blighters to me :( Wanted some hydra for ages!

These were young cory's and they were in a half starved condition so hydra wouldn't have been good for them. bought 6 and lost 2 within a short time, the 3rd one isn't looking good.... moved the others to another tank yesterday and by pm they were looking a lot better and actually eating. All I can think is that the hydra which were in the eating area were giving them minute stings... enough for them to be put off the area and so they must have been slowly starving in my tank !!!

This is one time that I added the water that the fish came with into my tank, but that was only cause they were going into a tank by themselves until I had got their body weight back up and treated them for possible worms (which they didn't have as it turned out).

Sorry keenonfish about not keeping any for you, but this is the first time I've had hydra, if I see them again (fingers crossed I don't), I'll get back to you.

Sorry keenonfish about not keeping any for you, but this is the first time I've had hydra, if I see them again (fingers crossed I don't), I'll get back to you.

I'll let you off this one time ;) :) But seriously I would appreciate that B-)

Why would anyone want to keep Hydra. Curiosity

Most reactions

Back