Unknown Insect (?) In Tank

MicroBex

Reaction score
So today I noticed something running along one of the larger pebbles I have in my tank. On closer inspection it looks like a beetle, but with no distinguishable head. Its too small to photograph unfortunately. It's less than 1mm, dome shaped, and a bright pearly white colour. Its a freshwater tank, no new fish or plants...any ideas what it is? And more importantly, is it anything to worry about?

Thanks!

It mostly like can be a worm or parasite of sometime. Or it can be a waterbug. Hard to tell with out pics. I don't mean to sound like an idea, but with no head it sounds like a parasite.

BackToTheFishes--> Great link! I never would have found that thread. Thanks very much!!

Flagtail--> Yeah, I was thinking parasite, which is why I thought I'd post on here.

But after a look on the 'Hitchhikers' thread, I'd say it was either the Clam shrimp but apparently that's uncommon, so maybe its more likely to be a Ostracod(Seed shrimp)? They both look right, and now I know its harmless it's actually quite cute.

Thanks both of you!

Most reactions

Back