Unknown Fish

pricey_avfc

Reaction score
IMGP0306.jpg

fish.jpg

it's a bonsai sailfin lol

people have already comment so i thort id post it here so that its easier for people to see.

=========
its brief history
=========

when i found it i thought it was a guppy fry as it was swimming with guppy fry. as it grew it started to look alot different.

when they were fry i moved them to my little tank. just 1 of the little plastic 1's u get wacked a heater in it and watched it grow (the fry that is not the heater). glad i moved em as i had massive fish death which killed most of my fish part from gourami and a couple of guppies both female.

now it is left in main tank with gourami its friend lol

all this was 8 months ago and he is still only 1 1/2" as you can see from top photo it does have a sail fin
if it was all sailfin it would be alot bigger by now yes?
==========

well thats its life and his pics what do u think?

Did you have any mollies in that tank when the fry were produced, cause the male molly and female molly most likely produced him. Check for his gondipondium, most hybrids are sterile.

Looks like a normal Molly to me. If he was a hybrid, the others would have grown up hybrid too, not Guppies. I assume he was born around the same time as the others, and thus got found at the same time. Not all Sailfins will carry Sailfin phenotype, so it's possible he has Sailfin in him, but it just doesn't show. What did you feed him growing up, and what size tank was he in?

Hybrids would still possess a gonopodium... think about it, sterile people aren't usually missing their bits :p
It's just that there's a problem with the gametes (sperm/eggs) the fish produces.

great looking fish! i've never had much luck with any type of fry except guppy fry, but awhile back my sunset female had babies, only 5 made it through out of 8 in total, and 2 weeks later they are doing great, still sorta bite size though lol

I saw some mollies in the lfs the other day like that and they were labled as "Gold Dust Mollies".

That is a young gold dust molly for sure, they've recently become quite popular for some reason, possibly because of their size...

fwlivebearers1149013227.jpg

a gold dust wag I might add. Gold dust mollies look like gold barbs. Gold Mollies have gold eyes too. This is definitely a gold wagtail

I have seen some mollies lately that arent as big as the should be. Its seems like a new fad going around ????

The differance in size between individual mollies has alot to do with their genetics and how they were raised, obviously well fed and cared for fish will grow up to be larger and stronger, and becasue there are a number of molly species, its not uncommon for there to be a few werid crosses out there that may mess with the size of the offspring produced.

And kubora, this is not the place to vent your hatred for livbearering fish, no one cares, we have a chat room for that, you can say what ever you want there. :good:

Most reactions

Back