Universal External Filter

mrapoc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a Mirabello 70 litre tank and my internal filter is a pain/a load of crap. I did have a cheap external which:
a) did not fit properly
B) leaked
c) was crap

I'm after an external which will fit most/all tanks (in case i upgrade/get a different tank)
An effective cleaner/filtration system
Not hugely expensive depending on features
Reliable and readily availiable for parts/support etc.

All i know is Eheim make decent ones right?

I'm more into computers than Fish tank hardware lawl

Recommendations/ideas/reviews?

Cheers

If you search this board, you'll find a lot of threads ealing with this topic. Almost all of the regulars, me included, will use nothing but Eheim.

Eheim is the ASUS of the filter world, the rest are ECS. ;)

LOL geek speak, I love the motherboard reference and I have both an asus motherboard and an eheim can. filter

Eheim or Fluval are available worldwide and are very good filters. Spare parts can be bought for both. Fluvals are a bit cheaper and are usually a bit easier to work on, simpler design.
Try to get one without a priming mechanism, they are useless and cause problems.

Eheim or Fluval are available worldwide and are very good filters. Spare parts can be bought for both. Fluvals are a bit cheaper and are usually a bit easier to work on, simpler design.
Try to get one without a priming mechanism, they are useless and cause problems.

So Eheim and priming is pretty much pointless?

What size will i want to go for? I guess all models do the same thing

70 litre tank atm but may upgrade at some point to perhaps a 100l - i dno

One of the pro 2?

Loving the asus comparison! :good:

Eheim and Fluval both have or had models with priming mechanisms. If you can get one without a priming mechanism they are easier to use and have less issues. The O-rings on the primer tend to crack over time and the filters suck air and stop working at the most inconvenient times. If it doesn't have a primer then there is less that can go wrong.

Get as big a filter as you can afford. That way if you want to upgrade the tank you can transfer the filter straight across. Obviously don't go for the jumbo filters that Eheim do because they hold nearly as much water as your tank :)
Fluvals do 105, 205, 305 & 405 external cannister filters. The 205 or 305 would be adequate for your current and future needs if you go for a 100litre tank. The 105 would probably be ok now but they are small and don't have much filter media so you might be cleaning it a lot. The 405 would be fine too but will cost you more and isn't really necessary unless you plan on going up to a 200-300litre tank.

Eheim and Fluval both have or had models with priming mechanisms. If you can get one without a priming mechanism they are easier to use and have less issues. The O-rings on the primer tend to crack over time and the filters suck air and stop working at the most inconvenient times. If it doesn't have a primer then there is less that can go wrong.

Get as big a filter as you can afford. That way if you want to upgrade the tank you can transfer the filter straight across. Obviously don't go for the jumbo filters that Eheim do because they hold nearly as much water as your tank :)
Fluvals do 105, 205, 305 & 405 external cannister filters. The 205 or 305 would be adequate for your current and future needs if you go for a 100litre tank. The 105 would probably be ok now but they are small and don't have much filter media so you might be cleaning it a lot. The 405 would be fine too but will cost you more and isn't really necessary unless you plan on going up to a 200-300litre tank.

You advocate that priming is a weak point then proceed to laud the fluval 05 line, that has priming.......... Priming that was added in the 04-05 series in responce to Eheim's pro II that featured priming. Get a bigger filter but don't buy a bigger eheim because they're too big?

O-rings anywhere on any canister filter is going to leak over time becase rubber in contact with water/temp changes eventully perishs. It is not a weakness of rubber that only occurs in a priming mechanism. Rubber will lose it's properties exposed to the sun and air over time. You buy or keep spare o-rings and rubber seals for any filter you plan on using for more than 2 or 3 years.

If he is that leery of priming and bullet proof design buy a eheim 2213 classic which last had a major redesign 20 years ago and has been untouched since then. It is simple, no seperated media baskets, no flow control, no push button priming. It's a bucket with a motor on top no bypass that will just keep going. Or if he wants seperate media baskets and flow control a newer version the eheim pro 2222

Compare Pro II and Fluval 305

305 rated for 300 liters, 1000 liters per hr. 3.1 bio volume. Del.head approx Hmax 1.6 m
Pro II 2026 350 liters 950 liters per hr. 4 liter bio volume, del.head approx Hmax 2.0

305 has more liters per hr but is a weaker against gravity it can only push it 1.6m vurses the 2026 motor that will push it 2m. Guess which one will pushing water as it become dirtier longer. Plus you have more biological area meaning it can handle more fish or provide a larger buffer.

Look at it this way to bring PC back into the mix, when people go top doller for reliable water pumps for water cooling PC's the pref brand has been eheim aquatic pumps. And if you're cheap you end up with eheim rip off pumps.

all i'd say is get a bigger filter than the manufacturers recommendations suggest

so you're tanks 70l, get oen rated for at least 100l (more if you intend to upgrade the tank later). the manufacturers guidance on suitable tank sizes is... shall we say... optimistic :rolleyes:

all i'd say is get a bigger filter than the manufacturers recommendations suggest

so you're tanks 70l, get oen rated for at least 100l (more if you intend to upgrade the tank later). the manufacturers guidance on suitable tank sizes is... shall we say... optimistic :rolleyes:
Agreed it's best to look at the mechanical and pysical specs.

What fish were in eheim's 350 tank? is it a identical standred of fish tested for Hagen's 300 liter tank? Is the company standreds for testing tank capacity identical across the entire field of canister manufacture? Did they even test fish or is it some internal weighting based on specs of the filters?

So looking at all of these considerations (knowing I want a filter that will suffice if say i do get a bigger tank...nothing on a massive scale, just bigger and not overwhelming) which brand and model would be best? Priming looks a good idea unless it does indeed cause problems. Some kind of maintenance alert or indicator would be sweet so i knew just when to clean it. I'm aiming for crystal clear water. My other external i got for free did a good job, until it leaked and started to bypass the filtering stuff.

Good enough for now and later
Good filtering
Maintenance indicator? perhaps?
Reliable
Not too expensive
Something i will be proud of owning :hyper:

Eheim Pro 3e will give you that, although it would turn a 70l into a whirl pool. Priming isnt hard even without buttons etc and you'd have to be 'special' to end up with a mouth full of tank water :p So id just go with somthing simple like an eheim classic.

so a eheim 2026 is overkill :drool:

alternative for a smaller tank?

No alternatives, accessories such as cleaning indicators etc are expensive extras that ive only seen on that range. Just go with somthing small and basic :) the tetratec range would be a good idea also.

Just been on phone to my fav stockist and he may have some 2nd hands in soon.

He's got a fluval 105 in stock atm which doesnt seem too bad (ill get a deal off him :good: )

Also need to a visilux sun 36w light too :crazy: hard to find

Whats the fluval like? I know its only up to 100l tanks but tbh as it stands theres only enough room in my utility room for a tank of this size (id like to master something of this size first...its not the cleanest of tanks atm!!)

Most reactions

Back