Unique stuff

I have a hand forged nail, given to me by a monk at the Vatopaedi monastery on Mt. Athos. This is the Eastern Christian version of having a nail from the Vatican.
I have hand forged nails too, 10 of them growing from the fingers on my hands :)

That's really cool! I have a hand forged nail from a blacksmith that taught about old settlements in the U.S.
Not as unique I suppose but it's cool
IIRC this was from the ruins from one of the more ancient buildings, so it has been part of many things. Prince Charles has been a frequent visitor of Vatopedi

I have quite a few rare coins like 2-cent pieces, 3-cent pieces, and a large cent from 1817. Someone gifted me a crystalized clam from 10 million yrs ago. I also have a 1979 Monte Carlo T top, those are pretty rare.

I used to be sword, knife and dagger collector. Most of it have moved to a new owner. But I've kept some. One of my unique swords is one that's got a wooden grip and a wooden scabbard. The grip is carved as the head of a cobra. I've got this sword about 30 years now...
View attachment 163199View attachment 163200View attachment 163201
View attachment 163202
View attachment 163198
This handmade sword originates from Indonesia. The top of the scabbard looks a bit like that of an indonesian kris (keris). A kris is a traditional kind of dagger with its origin on the island of Java. But mine is just a sword and no kris. The blade of the sword already tells that.
I also love samurai swords. Especially when they're handcrafted.
This sword is one of the few that I just couldn't part from.
00BB48D4-F0F6-4E22-87A2-7DC85D2DC50A.jpeg

I inherited this from my grandfather after he died.

Attachments

• 4C6260D9-3149-4C2A-AB95-FC5D3F733478.jpeg
    4C6260D9-3149-4C2A-AB95-FC5D3F733478.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 22
I have a hammer handle which belonged to my step great grandfather (great grandma was widowed and remarried). He was a file cutter by trade and this was done using a heavy hammer tied on to a short handle and a short hand held chisel to cut the grooves in the file. When the wooden handle finally cracked, they had to start a new one, which they disliked as it took time to wear down the handle so that it was comfortable to use. The handle I have is a cracked one, goodness known why the family kept it. If I hold it, the worn areas fit my hand perfectly so my great grandfather must have had small hands for a man.
Come to think of it, I also have a cracked chisel as well........

These would not have been unique back in the late 1800s/early 1900s, but how many of them would have survived till today?

I took this photo for someone writing an article on this family, my great grandfather was the last generation of this family of file cutters. You can see the groove on top where the thumb went and four finger grooves on the underside.
hammer.jpg

The handle I have is a cracked one, goodness known why the family kept it. If I hold it, the worn areas fit my hand perfectly so my great grandfather must have had small hands for a man.
People were smaller back then with the average height being about 5 foot tall. Now with better nutrition, the average height for a human male is 6ft.

Most reactions

Back