Unidentified Fish

Definitely not a goldy... I think it's best to give Jules the benefit of the doubt and assume they'd be able to ID a goldfish, for goodness sake! :lol:

I agree that it looks like a Labeo of some sort, but I have no clue what.

labeo's are not suitable at all for anything but an aggressive oddball/cichlid tank or a species tank.

There are Labeos which can be kept in communities, Labeo Bicolor for example.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

He(/she) is not a goldie, he's not a bala shark.

I'm inclined to agree he's a cyprinid of some kind, but maybe a rasbora rather than labeo? I don't know! Pictures on the web to look at are thin on the ground I'm finding.

Here is a better picture of the same fish. Does it help?

I've been studying him a little more, and might be able to give more detail than the pictures can. He's about 2" long, with relatively large eyes. The mouth is towards the bottom of the face almost pointing down but it's tricky to tell, and has tiny tiny feelers like a catfish or loach (but much smaller and thinner, you can barely see them). He has rows of dark spots running along his body, getting lighter as you deviate from the boldest across the middle

Seems to be eating flake food, and avoiding bloodworm and daphnia. Lives in the top 1/2 of the tank. Seems to have quite a flat bottom profile to his body (not flat like a plec, but certainly not rounded like a danio or goldfish).

He seems very healthy in as much as I can tell- eats well, is active but not manic, and has perky fins. Was bought to match the specification that it "won't eat anything else in the tank" apparently. This fish is not hassling anything, and is getting hassled by nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG18.JPG
    IMG18.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 39
@ombomb said:
labeo's are not suitable at all for anything but an aggressive oddball/cichlid tank or a species tank.

There are Labeos which can be kept in communities, Labeo Bicolor for example.
[snapback]865509[/snapback]​

sorry. i was just talking about the labeos i know of that resemle that one. it looks a lot like a labeo forskali bt i could be wrong. theres not really a good picture of its dorsal fin for me to tell.

Or this? Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG10.JPG
    IMG10.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 36
Thats a better picture, its a Labiobarbus burmanicus, sometimes known as the Long finned shark.

They are schooling fish so should be kept with a few of the same species and grow to around 10 inches so require a minimum of a 75 gallon tank when adult.

Gold star! That's the one. Thanks very much.

Google is giving not much of note about them though, do you have any links to some further reading please? (growth rates would be of particularly interest)

He's in a 70 UKG, 48*18*18. I'm pretty fully stocked now though with 5 clown loaches, 5 red lined torpedo barbs and a plec (plus a not inconsiderable number of other fish that aren't going to get above an inch or two).

The three options I have are: take him back, keep him on his own, or get some more.

The latter probably means a bigger tank at some point in the future (and even my current stock probably could at some distant point), which I'm not necessarily against- but isn't going to happen in my current flat.

Most reactions

Back