Underwater Frogs

They are pretty easy to keep but not in a tank with other fish. They are very slow at finding their food and will go hungry where fish will get to it 1st. They do much better in a tank of their own, however if you have few bottom dwellers they could be ok. Also if you feed them with a pipette and put the food right next to them to make sure they get some but this can be a pain.

They eat frozen bloodworm and tubifex and daphnia.. some people claim pellets too but mine have never eaten pellets. You can also give them live food but as they're quite slow i find frozen food far easier.

They breath air so do not need a filter but i use a filter with mine to keep water clean and so as not to get a build up of ammonia.

Sand is better as a sustrate than gravel as they like to dig and gravel can damage their delicate skin.

They prefer to be in groups, the more the better as they are most active in groups.

Think that covers most things. They are really fun to watch and have a lot of personality but IMO far more enjoyable in a species only tank as in a main tank you don't see them so much and you always worry that they're not eating properly!

Awhile back I had two frogs. Mine ate fish flakes. That was back before I started doing all my research and I had them in with a crawdad! One of the frogs succumbed to the crawdad and I'm not totally sure why the other one died? :huh: :( They were interesting when they were moving about!

They are pretty easy to keep but not in a tank with other fish. They are very slow at finding their food and will go hungry where fish will get to it 1st. They do much better in a tank of their own, however if you have few bottom dwellers they could be ok. Also if you feed them with a pipette and put the food right next to them to make sure they get some but this can be a pain.

They eat frozen bloodworm and tubifex and daphnia.. some people claim pellets too but mine have never eaten pellets. You can also give them live food but as they're quite slow i find frozen food far easier.

They breath air so do not need a filter but i use a filter with mine to keep water clean and so as not to get a build up of ammonia.

Sand is better as a sustrate than gravel as they like to dig and gravel can damage their delicate skin.

They prefer to be in groups, the more the better as they are most active in groups.

Think that covers most things. They are really fun to watch and have a lot of personality but IMO far more enjoyable in a species only tank as in a main tank you don't see them so much and you always worry that they're not eating properly!

Hi

Thanks for the information, I do so enjoy coming on this site, lot of people with a lot of knowledge...again I appreciate the info you have given.

Debbie

I just realised i forgot a REALLY important point... I assumed you were talking about african DWARF frogs.. if you were then advice above is correct.

If you were talking about african CLAWED frogs they grow very large and depending on what fish you have they will probably eat them. I don't know much more than that about clawed frogs.

Make sure you know which you're getting, 1st ask LFS as they should know but also make sure for yourself....

1) ADFs are never albino... if its albino it's a clawed frog
2) ADFs have little black claws on their back feet (but these develop with age so they may not all have them) clawed frogs do not.
3) ADFs have webbed front feet, clawed frogs do not
4) ADFs stay very small at around 1 1/2 inches while clawed frogs get quite large (not sure on exact size)

Good Luck.. and if you want to do more research google African Dwarf Frog or sometimes they get called Congo Frogs

Sorry to hijack post but Azaezl I read your thread out of interest and obviously you have a lot of experience with ADFs so I was just wondering what you think about them having a place to get out of water? I personally have never given mine anywhere and even when there have been floating plants etc. they never use them.

Whenever I say on here that these frogs are fully aquatic i get 20 angry ppl having a go at me! So just wondering what is your view?

Thanks

Funny you should ask that, I was debating this only the other day with someone, thread can be found here;

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Inverteb...-Without-Food-/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Inverteb...-Without-Food-/[/URL]

I would say it's down to the individual frog, some seem to enjoy having their head out of the water for long periods of time wheras other's don't do it at all and just get a quick gulp of air and go straight to the bottom again. I would say a 'dry area' for them to get out of the water is not needed, if you find your frog is hanging out at the surface alot and you can definately rule out illness then perhaps provide an area for it to be partially out of the water. If I recall correctly there are different types of african dwarf frog Hymenochirus boettgeri & Hymenochirus curtipes being the more commonly sold so perhaps that has something to do with it, perhaps one prefers having their head out of the water at times and the other doesn't.

HTH :D

Edit: After a quick google I found this very useful website which does confim that there are different species of dwarf frog;

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id19.html

The most common is Hymenochirus boettgeri.

i had 2 dwarf frogs, 1 of which was tiny compared to the other. somthing in my tank took a bite out of its nose not sure wot did it. it died a week later. should i get more as i only have the 1 left

I have have 13 fish in the tank, 6 noens, red tail shark, siamese fighter, 4 lemon tetras and an angel would the frogs be ok in this communtiy

Frogs do need company so yes you would need more, or pass the single one on to someone else, how big is the tank?

Not sure about the red tail shark, if I remember correctly they can beocme aggressive as they grow, or maybe that's just towards other sharks, you may want to check that out.

I'd be more concerned about the angel with the neons, neons are there natural food in the wild so you may wake up one day with no neons and a fat angel, some people do keep them togther and have no problems but it is risky. Also siamese fighters aren't very good community fish, you may well find you have a placid one in which case lucky you but if it is(as is usually the case) aggressive you may want to get him his own home, the tetras may well nip his fins as well so keep an eye on him.

The shark doesnt bother with the other fish much, the odd time theres a scrap but nothing to much.

so far so good with the neons and angel, it leaves them alone.(so far) All in all they seem to all get on

Most reactions

Back