Undergravel Filtration

GamSnatch

Reaction score
I am rather new to fish tanks, but I am starting a 10 gallon planted tank. I just wanted to know if i should use an undergravel filter with my planted tank. I also bought an air pump for the tank and am considering splitting the lines to run both towers if the undergravel filter is used. But anyhow any other tips would be awesome. Thanks!

An undergravel filter shouldnt be used in planted tanks. They arent good enough and disrupt the roots. I wouldnt bother with air pumps either as this would drive off Co2 because of the surface aggitation.
Id go with an internal filter, a fluval perhaps or a small external filter.

In my experience, undergravel filters have not hampered plant growth. I have had plants (including Vallis that roots and propogates by runners) that grow so well that I have to cut back and throw away excess monthly.

Regarding CO2 I have no opinion, since my methods are somewhat oldSkool and I'd never heard of it until coming here.

Vallis would grow well in a dimly lit muddy pool IME.

Undergravel filters should be left in the last century where they belong.

I would expect any deep rooting plant to be a 'clogger' on an underground filter, and if you wanted to move the plant, well............

Thanks for the info guys! I decided to go against using an undergravel filtration system for the tank. Although I did buy one, just in case i changed my mind, i did in fact use it. In order for my air supply tower to not stir up any dust with gravel layer i used the undergravel filter locking system to hold up the tower. I just used a small saw to cut the plastic into the square that i needed for the locking mechanism and inserted into the corner of my tank. Since i did this the amount of dust being thrown around in the tank has decreased greatly and the tower is securely in place and not moving around. But thanks again.

Most reactions

Back