Undergravel Filters

Lufbramatt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up an old tank that my dad gave me, I'm planning on re-sealing it at the weekend with the intention of setting it up over easter, so it gives me a few weeks to get everything together.

My dad insists that he always used undergravel filters for years without any issues, but this method of filtration seems to have completely fallen out of fashion. I was planning in getting something like an Eheim classic exeternal as they seem good value for money and i hate the look of an internal filter in the corner of the tank, but is it worth installing an undergravel filter with a powerhead as a backup and to help the water circulation in the tank? Can you even still get hold of the filter plates?

It seems to me that a spraybar returning the water to the tank wont add a lot of "current" to the water in the tank, so an additional powerhead in the tank might help this?

Im sure that Acorn pet centres has undergravel filters and they are said to work wonders. Don't know if theres a store near you, but most LFS's should have some or at least be able to order one in.

I honestly wouldn't bother with a UGF. The reason they're 'not in fashion' anymore is because they're such a faff compared to internal and external box filters.
Plus they aren't compatible with sand... and I don't think they're compatible with large numbers of plants.

You really don't need a back up filter, the external will be sufficient so long as the turnover is correct for the size of tank :)

the spraybar is mroe to aerate the water as oppose to move it. the more oxygen in the water the better. if you decide to get a seperate powerhead, check out the koralia range. ive just got one and its pretty impressive, not perfect but very good.

Agree with C101, I would not bother with an underground either as the only filter or as a backup filter to an external.

Here's what you can say to your father :) (and I'm one of the old guys that used undergrounds just like him)... The principles of the UGF (or the RUGFs) still work just fine. They are "biological only" filters (no provision for chemical or fine mechanical in additon to biological, as other filters have.) As bioloical filters they are a bit slow to get cycled and a bit less optimal and efficient but they work. One of their main advantages is that they are dirt cheap compared to other filters usually.

The problems come because other designs are so much easier to maintain and do such a better job in many ways. In particular, the modern External Cannister filter is amazing. There are trays giving wide flexibility for trying different media types. The whole filter is easily detached and carried to the sink/tub for maintenance. There are no problems with plants not liking them or with plant roots clogging them. You can shape your substrate instead of being limited to having it perfectly flat as an underground requires.

Oh, and let me recommend you consider the Pro or Pro II line, if the extra investment is not too much, these square Eheims are just awesome machines in my opinion, very, very quiet if you have a bedroom or living room location to consider.

~~waterdrop~~

thats great, thanks for the replies that helps a lot. I do quite like the idea of using sand as the substrate too, think it looks mor realistic than gravel.

The Ehiem pro filters look good. Eventually after a year or two I would like to upgrade to a 260 litre tank (4 ft is the biggest I can fit in my lounge!) from my little 29 gallon that i'm starting off with, so ideally if I'm going to spend money on a decent filter I want to be able to run it in the larger tank. What model would be most suitable with this in mind? Max budget is around £120 really. Would the Eheim 2224 be ok? It looks like this can be picked up for about £90.

When I first started I had an undergravel filter but I wouldnt go down that road. Now the filters are much more effective and easier to maintain. You have to be able to get underneath the undergravel filter to clean it periodically and thats a nightmare. Also mine broke and its a beast as you have to take everything out of the tank substrate and all to get the plates out and clean the gunk out underneath it!

If you get a modern filter you wont need a spray bar and that will save you money on both buying it and the electricity to run it. Just aim the filter outlet towards the top of your tank to move the water on the surface and you will have all the oxygen you need.

I have used plenty of UGF filters over the past years. If set up correctly, they can be all that your tank requires. Now let me join the new fish keepers in saying that many other filters will be easier for you to care for. A UGF requires that you truly understand how it works and that you take that into account at every turn. Other filters require much less understanding to get good results so they end up being easier to use. I have used both UGF and more conventional filters with good results but the UGFs needed more attention and better understanding to use them well. Unless you are on a very tight budget, I suggest that the UGFs be replaced by more conventional filters. Most conventional filters are easier to understand and will receive better support from people both here and elsewhere.
You are completely correct that the UGF has simply fallen out of fashion but that does make your dilemma any less acute. A filter of the UGF type is simply not well understood by many people who might otherwise be able to help you here or elsewhere. I am an old school fish keeper with some UGF experience but I am not at all typical in that respect. Most others here who might help you have no real understanding of the principles of a UGF. To them it is simply an out of date method that they have no reason to understand or respond to when you have questions. I might, as an old timer, set up a tank using a UGF but that does not make it a good choice for a newbie. Your dad is right, a UGF can be all you need for a tank. On the other hand, if you want help along the way, you will get not much more than suggestions that you change over if you insist in using a UGF.

Honestly if your worried about unsightly hob filters, I recommend the ebay canister filters. Also known as Perfect and SunSun. If you read the reviews a lot of people on forums recommend them. Honestly I just bought one and can't wait to try it out. You can't beat 40 shipped. :good: They also come with the filter media and have a LOT of room for more. Also from what others have said, Very quiet and the handles aren't cheap brittle plastic. I'll post a review of mine when it gets here.

Sorry Jack, I did not read that as the question being asked. I also have filters that I favor over a UGF but the UGF is a viable alternative as I stated above. Each of us has our own favorite filters. I use mostly the Rena XP product line and sponge filters but the question did not ask for my favorite or yours.

Most reactions

Back