Undergravel Filter

Before we go running off in all directions, the most objective questions here is "do you have a specific reason for getting a UGF?" I mean do we know the OP is going planted, will he have any real plants, what sort of budget, any other special reason (small tank don't want a massive box invading and what type of fish??)

If not, what size tank do you have (help decide internal/external)

If tank is not large enough to warrant expenditure then will you be upgrading in the near future?

If so, go external if not... go internal... :good:

What's the specific requirement to run an UGF? There multiple issues and little benefit in running one...

I had no specific req to run an UGF other than to try different filtration methods.

However the information and veiws supplied by everyone was great and i have decided not to use it and stick with my internal filter alone....

Cheers :good:

What's the specific requirement to run an UGF? There multiple issues and little benefit in running one...

I run an UGF. I dont see why so many people have this "thing" about them..

I also use an internal filter as well, and thats just new, I got it as backup but didnt really need it.

I have NEVER had cloudy water or any algae problem what so ever. I see so many people write on here about their algae problems and stuff who use normal filters.

I could not speak more highly of UGF's and the way they keep your water sparkling.

I also use an internal filter as well, and thats just new, I got it as backup but didnt really need it.

I have NEVER had cloudy water or any algae problem what so ever. I see so many people write on here about their algae problems and stuff who use normal filters.

I could not speak more highly of UGF's and the way they keep your water sparkling.

Ok thanks for your advise,

Ok thanks for your advise,

Anytime. Alot of old skoolers will advise you to get one as well.

Forget the gravel and UG filter. Those are terribly outdated and don't do a very good job. Get a HOB or canister filter. The will work 10 times better than the UG filter and are much easier to clean too. If you do indeed decide to use it you will have to have gravel that is coarse. Otherwise the waterflow will be restricted and as soon as a little trash gets in the crevices between the gravel, the waterflow will slow or stop completely.

I totally agree. Back in the day ugf was about the only filtration commonly available, and required yearly tank teardowns. Underneath the filter plates looks like a mud puddle after a year, and smells worse. As the gravel plugs with debris, you get channeling, where the water flow follows the path of least resistance. This decreases filter efficiency, and the only way to restore it is with a teardown. The gravel plugs, the slots in the plates plug, and the debris under the plates reduces the flow.

Much as electronic ignition & fuel injection is an improvement over carbeurators and points & condensers in cars, a good hob or canister is a huge improvement over ugf. Any substrate is a filth collector, ugf makes it even more so.

I agree with tolak used them tore them out in the end, for ever blocking up and were a nightmare.

They are outdated and I agree.

The only way to restore it is with a teardown. The gravel plugs, the slots in the plates plug, and the debris under the plates reduces the flow.

I had this same problem with my 55 and a UGF.. muck and crud building up under the plates led to bad water quality and ammonia problems. I got rid of the UGF and the tank turned around in a hurry.

Reverse flow UGF's are supposed to be better. The water is pumped down the tube by a powerhead (with a sponge pre-filter attached) water goes down the tube and under the UGF plate then comes UP though the gravel. This way the gravel does not clog. It may be worth experimenting with this type but then again there are always better HOB's and canisters to go with.

I had no specific req to run an UGF other than to try different filtration methods.

However the information and veiws supplied by everyone was great and i have decided not to use it and stick with my internal filter alone....

Cheers :good:

Good move, there are a few points made here about the inefficiencies caused by UGF's over time, nitrates collect in the substrate, channeling takes place, blockages etc... Unless you have a specific requirement (I cannot think of one TBH) then go with an external/internal

Good luck with the new tank :good:

Most reactions

Back