Undergravel Filter Question

RANDYS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently went to one of the fish stores in the area and in almost all their tanks they have undergravel filters installed. The owner told me that for tanks 30 gallon and under a undergravel filter was all you needed. While I was growning up I had a undergravel filter in my 30 gallon but back in the mid 70's I'm not sure if they had the other filters or not, all I remember is that they had those rectangular clear plastic filters that you put in charcoal and cotton into it and then use a small pump and airhose, boy that was along time ago. SO is it true that undergravel filters are the best for 30 gallon and below, or would a combo of both filters be better???

Undergravels are practically useless now. Shops tend to use cheap filtration methods like UGFs because, as mntioned, its cheaper and effective enough. But for a home tank, theres no point. My main issues with them are-
~ They require you to have gravel, which no species of fish prefers over sand. In fact, gravel is harmful for some species- eartheaters, for instance, can choke on it, eels can damage themselves if they try to burrow.
~They require a large depth of gravel, taking up water volume and space.
~You can buy much more effective filters, such as externals.
~No way of removing them if you treat with a med that kills filter bacteria.
~No way of having a bare bottomed tank (eg, for breeding)
~Increased risk of infection for bottom dwellers.

UGF = UGSP
UGSP = under gravel scess pool
Back then they were great as there was no alternative. Today there many, far superior alternatives. :hyper:
Vic

We've been using an UGF for 3 years now without issue and the water is crystal clear.

I have read that if you cover the filter plates with a pair of tights or stockings then you can use sand on top, but I've never tried it myself.

That's actually UGCP.

It's also capable of pulling down small fry and shrimp, trapping and killing them. Plants don't like it either.

There's no reason to use one.

Oh yes, forgot that. Plenty of people getting fish stuck under there, or fry, and not finding them until they next take the tank apart :sick:

Your lfs is using ugf because it's easier and cheaper to run a couple of air lines to each tank from a large pump or blower than to run power for an external filter, or pipe in a centralized system. Their ugf system does keep each tank separate, unlike a centralized system, which has multiple tanks on one system. This reduces the risk of spreading any disease from new fish coming in. I've seen shops set up that way; it must be a lot of maintenance.

Ugf systems are that messy, I wouldn't recommend them for any tank. They do still sell air powered box filters; they do a decent job of mechanical filtration with enough airflow. Combine one of those with a sponge filter in a bare bottom tank, and you have a typical breeding setup. This would be a cleaner & easier system to maintain than any ugf.

They do still sell the box filters; I just got in a dozen, and am in the process of setting up a centralized system in my fish room. I have way too many electrical cords & power strips running, pvc & air lines are less of a fire hazard. For your average aquarium a power filter will beat ugf any day.

I am not an expert! But I have been keeping fish for 25 years. I have always used UGFs. Most of that time I have had very good plant growth; throwing away cuttings or old stems at almost every water change. Maybe I'm just out-of-touch with modern tank equipment, but I think they do a good job when properly maintained.

I've been using one in my tank for the past 4 years with no problems at all, although thats just with small shoaling fish, catfish and goldfish and gravel. The guy at the fish store seemed to think they were the best thing in the world and he used them in his tanks at home :rolleyes: .
The only plants i could ever grow with it were java fern, hydrophila polysperma and elodea. But the only plant there that would really be affected is the ploysperma and that stuff will grow anywhere.
I also use a fluval 3 for filtration though, so i don't know how effective it is on its own.
The main reason its still in there is it would take too much effort to take out and its probably good for the tank.

I also use a Fluval, but mine is Fluval 2. BTW, I buy Fluval 3 filter material, and just cut it in half to fit. It's cheaper that way. What a cheapskate!

Most reactions

Back