under tank reptile heater

asparagus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 10 year old daughter now wants a betta AND a guppy tank. I ordered her a 5 gallon mimbow and one for myself for the bettas we're going to get. Im thinking Ill let her put her guppies in the 5 gallon and invest in a "matching" aquascene 2 gallon from walmart for her betta. My only problem is keeping it warm. Has anyone ever used one of those undertank reptile warmers for a fish tank? They kind of look like a heating pad and the small ones only use 4 watts of electricity.
What do you think? I can get the 2 gallon aquascen (has a bottom filter, light, lid, and is decent size).
comments?

I have a 2 gallon aquascene that I use for a small female. It doesn't have an actual filter though-- but a bubbler/air stone. Is that what you mean?

The hood itself keeps the tank at a stable 76-78 degrees so I do not use a heater on that tank.

If it is the bubbler kind, it comes with a thick clear tube you basically attach to a black triangle thing you put at the bottom of the tank. You put the airstone inside the tube it creates bubbles. I think your male would find this irritating - it would ruin any nests he makes, and he has no way to escape the constant movement. Also it does not help him breath. I took mine out and it cleared up tons of swimming space.

AHHHH!
They SAY it comes with a filter, but I bet thats what they're talking about. I thought that was awfully cheap for a full fledged tank. I guess Ill be getting her the 2.5 gallon mini bow since it has a proper filter but Im still a bit worried about the water temp. We keep our house pretty cold (66-68 f) in winter. I would tell her to leave the light on but wont that disturb the betta's day/night rhythm?

We keep our house colder too, so I have run into a few problems with that. You're right, it does disturb their sleeping patterns, and I do actually turn off her light at night. It does gets to a less desirable temp at night (70ish).

You could buy a mini heater online, or spend a bit more and get a 5 gallon knockoff brand, since Minibows jack up their price. I use a regular heater in my 5 gallon (I would not use one in a 2.5 gallon ever), and just make sure to watch the temp a lot.

:) I use the mini bows - 2.5 gallon tanks for the bettas and put a small 6 inch submerged 25 watt heater in each of them. No problems so far. I do check them carefully several times each day. There are 6 tanks operating this way.

I also use the 2.5 minibows with 25 watt submergable heaters with no problems. Buy a good quality one, pain for the cost but less likely to fail and cook your fish.

Most reactions

Back