under gravel heaters

cbster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
is it really necessary to have an under gravel heater? i have forty plants coming and if i would really benefit from it i will put it in. i have a 55 gal. tank with 4- 40 watts 48 in. bulbs, gravel, and laterite mix, and a diy co2 reactor is there anything else i need. thanks

forgot i guess i would have to get rid of my ugf? thanks

Plants grow better without UGF's. In the wild, they are not used to having O2 rich water circulating around their roots, that is why reverse flow UGF's are better for plants than normal - the bacteria in the gravel drop the O2 concentration.

That said, if you have a well planted tank, then taking the UGF out will completely disrupt it. If you have no problem, then leave it be.

As for undertank/substrate heaters - I have used both Ultratherm under tank plates and Dennerle heating cables. I have read the theory, I know what is supposed to happen. Frankly I can not put my hand on my heart and say either has made any difference.

Mr. Lateral Line i haven't planted the plants yet and i have a h.o.t. magnum 250 and an emperor 400 bio-wheel in the tank for filtration and the power heads i have can't reverse so should i just get rid of the ugf and not worry about the heating cable. is there anything else you think i need for a planted tank. thank you cbster

Most reactions

Back