Uncovered tank - advice needed

MichelleJD

Reaction score
apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong category- I’m new to the forum. My lovely son left me his fish tank to look after ‘temporarily’ when he left home 3 years ago. He’s since got another one. The problem is he bought a lidless one and it’s a pain, it’s always running low on water - which my previous lidded tanks never did - plus we have cats! I am getting to the point of rehoming the last remaining fish and getting rid of the tank although, if I could sort a top for it I would really like to get it re-stocked I don’t want to buy a new one so can anyone suggest any ideas of how/where to get a top for it. It’s a 40l cube - make unknown - he got it online. I took pot luck and contacted a few places as they sold likely looking tops but was told they wouldn’t work on mine. Any advice gratefully appreciated. I know a bit about fish keeping but only a novice!

In an emergency you can use plastic lunch wrap. just leave a small section open for air and don't have lights too close to it.

I hated my hoodless tanks for exactly this reason, and the mineral deposits the evaporation left was abysmal. If fishkeeping is not your thing and you're happy to see the tank go then just rehome and move on with your life 😅 otherwise buy a new tank with a hood and save yourself a pain in the backside!

Not sure what advice to give you... All of my tanks have been uncovered through decades of doing this and never a problem...yet. I've had tanks with plants growing out of them and looked really cool, for the last 15 years I've had and still have African Cichlids with open tops.

Most reactions

Back