unclear water

Italian_Stallion

Reaction score
the water in my tank has a light yellow tinge to it. my parameters are fine and my ph is 7. my fish are all fine and i am understock. anny suggestions would help. i do weekly gravely vac and change the water.

Thanks

do you have any bogwood/driftwood in the tank?
If so they are leeching tannins, this is not harmful to your
fish but will raise the ph slightly
the cure is to take the wood out and boil it for a min of 30 mins
then leave in soah for 24-24hrs then put back in the tank.
If it is still leeching after that repete the process

Edit
HTH :nod:

yea i got wood in there. thanks for the help. how long will it tank for the water to clear up after i remove the wood??

After you remove the wood you will need to do a water change to clear the tank.

that would doesn't need removing
the yellow tinge isn't doing and damage however it can benifit ur fish and if u wanna remove it use active carbon.

some ppl would willingly put the chemicals that make up that yellow tinge.

if something new in ur tank isn't doing any harm 2 ur fish and plants i see no reason to remove it apart from algae and snails.

Tannins actually lower the pH of the water. Running carbon will remove the staining, but you will have to replace the carbon often--every week or two at least, until the wood quits leaching the tannins. It isn't harmful to the tank at all, and adding other chemicals may cause undesirable effects.

i think it looks atractive, and since it lowers/raises the ph over a certain amount of time i cant se it havin much effect on ur fish, as stated most ppl when goin for a certain look in a tank add tannins to the water.. i remember seeing one that was almost black, it looked cool :)

carbon will help ,but as stated will need replacing over a certain time period (not all carbon has to be change on a weekly basis.. some is monthly)

but if you keep on top of ur weekly water changes it will actualy go away on its own :)

As mentioned before, the tannins changing the water color is not harmful to your fish, so the question is does it bother you? I personally dont like my tanks to go yellow, which is why i stopped lowering my ph with peat, better yet, I stopped lowering my ph period, as my discus thrive in my water now with no adjustments chemical or otherwise. But if you did want to clear up the water there are a few ways to do it. If you want to keep that wood, you may be stuck with the yellow water until it stops leeching, how long, who knows. If you remove the wood, it'll take you a couple weeks of small daily water changes and a couple filters running fresh active carbon. A lot of work really. My advice would be to let it go, do your normal maintenance, and it will go away...... eventually :D

Most reactions

Back