Ugh, duckweed

Off to battle the duckweed again. I feel like it won't be as much work as yesterday.

I spent over three hours picking the salvinia minima out one by one, rinsing it in the tank water, then a bucket and then putting it to the side in another bucket. Then I went through the anacharis to try and clear that. I took out my feeder rings and plant corral to make sure they were clear. Then scooping the surface of the water over and over and over to get all the duckweed I could find. I broke a net because I kept banging it on the side of a bucket to get the duckweed off ot it. I scoured every corner, behind the heater and filter and used an algae scraper to loosen duckweed leaves I could see stuck to the glass in the tank. Then I scooped some more. I waited for anything to float up. And scooped some more. Double checked for more leaves. Then scoured the buckets I used for any duckweed. Checked again for any loose duckweed. Then put my floaters back in the tank.
New status:
View attachment 316728

I am well aware that if even one friggin duckweed leaf is still in there, I'll have to do this again.
I really should have quarantined those assassin snails longer.
there are still many duckweeds if you look closely😭
i'm afraid you have to prune them even more

When I eventually tackled it properly I ended up removing all my frogbit as it hid in the leaves and roots. Only once I was sure (well as sure as possible) it was all gone did I re-introduce frogbit. And I made sure that was tissue cultured

I have duckweed in my tank tht I introduced by mistake. I don't stress about it. I just remove a load when I do a water change and give it to my father in law who has a koi/goldfish pond. He dumps it in the pond and the fish eat it.

People strees about duckweed in their tank, personaly I like it.

I have duckweed in my tank tht I introduced by mistake. I don't stress about it. I just remove a load when I do a water change and give it to my father in law who has a koi/goldfish pond. He dumps it in the pond and the fish eat it.

People strees about duckweed in their tank, personaly I like it.
Its not the duckweed itself. In my tank the problem was I had frogbit, which I wanted, and duckweed, which I didn't. Clearing excess frogbit (or duckweed) on its own is easy because you just scoop off the surplus and feed it to the goldfish (or bin). With both I had to remove the frogbit every week, wash as best I could and then scoop out what was in the tank - so the two minute job turned into 30 minutes plus. My guess is its the same frustration for @sharkweek178 with his salvinia. All my tanks have either salvinia or frogbit - so I don't want duckweed.

The second frustration is that it sticks to everything when you do a water change (and clogs the filter). Frogbit and salvinia both return to the surface after a water change and are much easier to keep out of filters.

Duckweed is on a hype?......!!!.....
Why flame thrower not moving?????

Attachments

• yes-hell.gif
    yes-hell.gif
    118.6 KB · Views: 31
For my one tank with lots of water movement the duckweed seems to be held in check. Salvia hated it tho', and refused to continue existence :(

I think I managed to get rid of the duckweed in my main tank with the second go at it. I have some in my quarantine tank. But nothing is in there at the moment and it's not too urgent. I already use separate equipment for that tank since it's a quarantine tank. I'll start working on that within the next few days.

Duckweed can be scary. But, admittedly, it was the first aquatic plant I ever really liked (impossible to kill lol). Maybe it'll grow on you!
I mean if you don't start to like it, it may grow out of the tank and take over you.
If I want to kill something, all I have to do it make it grow.
I 'wanted' duckweed in my tank and could keep it going.

-sterling

I still fish pieces of duckweed out when I do water changes. But I do that as part of my routine of removing excess salvinia minima anyways. It's not overwhelming which was always my concern.

Send your tank to me, I manage to kill every single floating plant I put in mine...EVEN DUCKWEED! I bought a whole bunch a couple of weeks ago and I've not got a single leaf left 🤣 I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I love it

This week I bought a kilo of duckweed for my two ponds.
Looked good and healthy, but arrived stinking to high heavens (so might have been dead from the outset. dunno.). Divided into two portions and tossed into the ponds within 30 minutes of arrival.
Next day, gone. Only a very few white bits are clinging to the banks. No fish in ponds yet, so I know nothing ate it.
I CANNOT keep duckweed alive.
Trying Azolla next.

-sterling

Most reactions

Back