Ubuntu

demonmagus

spamming my way to the top...
Reaction score
yay just got ubuntu dual booted on my PC, kinda feel annoyed now because I brought vista and ubuntu is just as good lol

having problems with beryl (just can't 'switch it on') but tbh it's great

I'll have a look as well been thinking of going unix, can u look at word/xml etc and other ms documents or u need extra downloads

well I'll load it and give it a test :)

Dual boot easy to set or u have to edit boot.ini as it's easy enough to do.

i'm downloading now, what's the wireless adapter support like ? any idea

what is it then
I've read the site and it just seems like a replacement desktop program

what is it then

Hi, I've been lurking in the forums for a while gaining knowledge on fishkeeping for when my 55 UK Gal tank has cycled, but have not really felt confident in posting to any of the fish related threads, but computers is something I know a lot about :shifty:

Ubuntu is part of a family of operating systems known as Linux. In the same way that when you turn on your machine it boots into Windows, when you install a Linux O/S you machine will give you a choice of Windows or Linux.

Unlike Windows, Linux is modular. For example the gui (Graphical User Interface) is just a module so you can pick and choose which GUI you want to run according to your tastes. Gnome and KDE are the two most popular. Ubuntu ships with Gnome as it's default GUI, but you can add KDE and flip between the two if you wish. You could choose Kubuntu which ships with KDE if that is more to your liking.

The thing to remember with Linux is that it is not Windows and it really doesn't handle games very well. In fact most Windows games will not run under it, so if you mainly use Windows for games then I wouldn't bother installing Linux, but if you don't play games then Linux is ideal and FREE too. :good:

So endeth my Pro-Linux rant.

what is it then

Hi, I've been lurking in the forums for a while gaining knowledge on fishkeeping for when my 55 UK Gal tank has cycled, but have not really felt confident in posting to any of the fish related threads, but computers is something I know a lot about :shifty:

Ubuntu is part of a family of operating systems known as Linux. In the same way that when you turn on your machine it boots into Windows, when you install a Linux O/S you machine will give you a choice of Windows or Linux.

Unlike Windows, Linux is modular. For example the gui (Graphical User Interface) is just a module so you can pick and choose which GUI you want to run according to your tastes. Gnome and KDE are the two most popular. Ubuntu ships with Gnome as it's default GUI, but you can add KDE and flip between the two if you wish. You could choose Kubuntu which ships with KDE if that is more to your liking.

The thing to remember with Linux is that it is not Windows and it really doesn't handle games very well. In fact most Windows games will not run under it, so if you mainly use Windows for games then I wouldn't bother installing Linux, but if you don't play games then Linux is ideal and FREE too. :good:

So endeth my Pro-Linux rant.
Nice rant though :)

Although with WINE (Windows Is Not an Emulator) most games run fine. I recall PeteM used to get better speeds on some of his games on linux through WINE than through Mickey Mouse Soft.

My main praise for Linux is it is not Mickey Mouse Soft, and therefore is secure and stable; no more having to reboot every time an update or program is installed.

andy may just pm you later if i get stuck :)
I would be no help.

The disc found the wireless card on the laptop, asked for the network key and did everything else itself. That is how easy it was with Ubuntu.

Although with WINE (Windows Is Not an Emulator) most games run fine. I recall PeteM used to get better speeds on some of his games on linux through WINE than through Mickey Mouse Soft.

My main praise for Linux is it is not Mickey Mouse Soft, and therefore is secure and stable; no more having to reboot every time an update or program is installed.

WINE will run some OpenGL games faster than they run under Windows, but DirectX games don't tend to run at anywhere near the same performence levels that they do under Windows. I was generalising for the more casual computer users amongst us. WINE is not especially easy to use.

I dual boot my system with Windows XP to play games as that is all it's fit for im my opinion and Kubuntu for everthing else (photo editing, email, surfing, etc).

As an aside for those of you reading this thread thinking "I really don't want to mess with my machine to try out Linux. What if I don't like it?". There are things called Live CD's. Download a Live CD, burn it out and boot from it. Voila, you have a linux system you can play with without it installing a single file on your machine. It's a little slower than installing it properly and anything you save under there will be erased when you restart your machine, but it's a safe way give it a go.

OK, I'm off to phone the Ubuntu Marketing Dept for a job. :D

Its worth mentioning that for those that want more than just a download, ubuntu does ship out free cds from their website. It says delivery can take up to 10 weeks but it only took us just over a week to get them.

Stop prasing Linux. Yes, it's great for servers, but it can't compete with either OSX or Windows at the desktop level.

The statistics only confirm my statement: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Actually Linux has become less popular lately.

You should check Linux newsgroups... a large group is actually using Outlook or Outlook Express. :D

Most reactions

Back