Types Of Corys

blinky000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've got a 23 gal heavily planted tank that could do with a little more activity and I've been looking into peaceful tankmates to go with my betta. I'm adding a few more otos in there later in the week but I've heard corys go well with bettas too. Thing is, there's so many types of corys that I'm a little stumped what would be best. I know a lot of it is dependent on the betta's temperament but he's adjusted to the otos well. Still scowls at them every now and then but that's as far as it goes. He's a bit of a wuss really :lol:
Any recommendations are welcome :)

I suggest your stick to one of the smaller species of Cory, I list them on here: http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/species-for-a-60-litre-aquariums/ (also other species which are suitable for a tank that size). If you go for Corys, it is best if you have a sand substrate.

Photo? Dimensions? Exact numbers of other stock? Filter? Planted? Keep in mind that what I give you will still be only an estimate.

I take it back, apparently it's not 23 gals. I put the wrong number in the volume calculator. How embarrassing... So, it's a 14 gal (18x12x15") and so far it has one male betta and 2 otos. It's heavily planted and has a Fluval 2+

DSCF1904.jpg

That's not heavily planted, only 1/4 of the way there ;) I can still see plenty of gravel! Those swords look new because the leaves look emersed, is that right? Unfortunately, that tank is too small to support so many.. it's probably too small to support even one. With time, they will wither and die off, one by one. Swords are very greedy plants, they'll want lots of iron (for example), so the only way you are likely to keep them alive for long is to have (in my experience) long lighting periods (12+ hours per day or multiple ones) and plenty of root tabs (a 0-0-* fertiliser, I doubt you'll be wanting to add nitrate/ammonium to the water).

13 US gallons / 11 imperial gallons / 50.5 litres volume, and more like 40 litres / 9 imperial gallons / 10.5 US gallons of actual water.

Gravel is not the best substrate for Corys, unfortunately, and 18*12 inches is quite a small bottom area, so personally I would pass on the Corys and go for 8-12 individuals of a dwarf Asian or South American mid-water schooling species. I've created a list of species which go for a 24*12 inch bottom area, which you can find at http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/species-for-a-60-litre-aquariums/ , I think most of the Asian and SA mid-water schooling species form that should be fine with a Betta, when kept in those numbers. If you really want to go for Corys, then I recommend one the Cory species from that list, and 8 individuals as a good starting point (stocking slowly, of course), potentially increasing up to 10-12 sort of numbers.

Actually, having a really long photoperiod (lighting period per day) would make quite a lot of sense as the Otos need lots of algae to eat.. it may be worth trying 14 hour lights per day, to see if that would encourage some.

Because the tank is so deep, I recommend some Java moss for the bogwood, as it can survive with almost no light.

It's really nice to see a Betta in such a large tank, for a change :good:

Edit: your gravel bed does not look that deep.. have you considered pushing all your gravel to the back 1/3 of the tank (adding some sort of divider in front of it) and adding sand to the front 2/3 of the tank? That would be much better for Corys :)

Edit 2: at one point, when I was still using gravel and had a Betta, I created a two tier substrate and made caves which exited at the bottom layer, but were hidden underneath the higher layer, using clean glass jars. The Betta seemed to like them.

You're spot on, I bought those swords yesterday. I originally went out in search of java moss and couldn't find any, but then these appeared for £1.75 each so I bought two... then got them home and realised they were too big for the tank haha. They can go in the axolotl tank next week :)
I've been debating changing to a sand substrate anyway. I originally bought the gravel for the goldies so I guess I have no need for it now. Even the axies prefer sand. The betta cave sounds awesome though. May have to try it out in the meantime ;)
Thanks for all your help :)

I couldn't find any pygmys in any fish shops today :( lots of pandas and peppers though. Would they be ok in a tank that size?

Pandas are what I would call in the small-medium range, peppers are large.

Have you considered asking your LFS to order the fish for you?

I recommend bronze cories because they are generally hardier than most species, if your a beginner dont get albino ones. I made the mistake of getting them when i was a begginer. R.I.P My precious albinos ;(

I recommend bronze cories because they are generally hardier than most species, if your a beginner dont get albino ones. I made the mistake of getting them when i was a begginer. R.I.P My precious albinos ;(
Bronze are also in the "large" range, so I would say that they're not suitable. I also did not find albino bronze Corys to be any more or less hardy than normal bronze Corys…

Then they are young, or stunted.
+1, that is correct. Properly looked after adult bronze Corys will reach 3" without difficulty, although 2-2.5 is more common because most people don't look after them well enough.

Most reactions

Back