Two Red Honey Gouramis And One Female Betta?

Voxcharm

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on 2 red honey gourami with one female betta in a just under 10 gallon (US gallon) very well planted tank??

It's a new tank that's nearing end of fishless cycle. Reckon ill be stocking in around a week. I've done so much research and as always the research can contradict. I'd be really interested in hearing from people who have direct experience or knowledge of it working or not.

Thinking with honeys supposedly being some of least aggrssive (I had a terrible experience with a violent opaline who I rehomed!) I'm going with a female betta and really wanted to pair her with gouramis.

Any thoughts on this combination? Would it make a difference if I got two female RHG?
.... Or just one RHG.

Hmm, I really wouldn't to be honest.

Honeys can chase other female honeys away but a betta I think would be a bad mix IMO.

I own both honeys and bettas (in different tanks)

Thanks shelster for that. I do have a back up plan in that a female betta could be put in my cory tank if all goes bad. I may just give it a try and keep a close watch seeing as i do have that back up. With regards to the pair of honeys (which it may turn out, as you mentioned to be the sole tank inhabitants) would a male and a female make the best pair?
Anyone else have any direct experience of this being successful or un successful?
PS this thread on another forum was what made me want to give it a go:

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/97309-female-betta-honey-gouramis.html

I have four females with my male honey, hat way the chasing is dispersed amongst all the females, than one female being constantly harassed.

I would honestly put the betta straight in with the cories.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

Noted. Ill maybe go with two female honeys then, or two males. I will try the female betta but of course won't risk even overnight if it looks hostile.

Will update this thread when I do. (Wont be for around a fortnight yet though.)

Go for two females, two males will squabble unless tank is big enough and heavily planted :)

Shelster said:
Go for two females, two males will squabble unless tank is big enough and heavily planted :)
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for all your info.

Happy to help, good luck and enjoy them, honeys are great to sit and watch :D

Most reactions

Back