Two Julli Cories Not Enough?

Ellis

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here.

Here is my very first dilemma. I have bought two Julli Cories which have been getting on wonderfully, only to find out that they are schooling fish and are recommended to kept in groups of 4+. I am concerned that I may overstock my tank though. According to AquaAdvisor, I am currently stocking at 85%, and adding two more Cories will bring this to 93%.

93% seems too close for comfort.

Any advice would be brilliant!

Thank you!

hi, corys do need to be in groups, i'd say 4 absolute min, 6+ is better. your corys are probably Corydoras trilineatus or a similar species, i doubt that they are julii as they are very rare. C. trilineatus are often misnamed C. julii. what is your tank size, filter, water change routine and stocking?

cheers :good:

Oh well that is good to know - I had heard that there was a debate about real jullie cories.

I have a 65 litre tank, with interpet PF3 Filter. Currently changing 25% a week. Stocking 6 neon tetras, 6 male guppies and 2 cories.

According to my phone's calculations, you have a 17ish US gallon tank. I'm no expert but if I can have 5 scissortail rasboras and 5 c. trilineatus in a 10 US gallon tank, I don't see why your tank can't hold at least another 2 cories. Is your tank more vertical or does it have a wide bottom? This could make a difference since your cories will spend most of their lives on the tank bottom. The more floor space, the more room your cories have to look for food. But yes, your cories DO need a larger shoal. I made the same mistake and had only one cory for several months, now he is a lot happier with tank mates, he is more active and is eating more too. I've read lots of posts on here saying anywhere between 4 and 6, more is better, but my five do really well. I think it's a 4:1 males to female ratio though, which might have an extra male there, anyway, not the point. My cories don't constantly shoal. One or two will frequently swim around the tank without the others, so if you do get more, don't expect some giant, cory party or something. Even though they will shoal and be happy, every little cory needs its space ;)

According to my phone's calculations, you have a 17ish US gallon tank. I'm no expert but if I can have 5 scissortail rasboras and 5 c. trilineatus in a 10 US gallon tank, I don't see why your tank can't hold at least another 2 cories. Is your tank more vertical or does it have a wide bottom? This could make a difference since your cories will spend most of their lives on the tank bottom. The more floor space, the more room your cories have to look for food. But yes, your cories DO need a larger shoal. I made the same mistake and had only one cory for several months, now he is a lot happier with tank mates, he is more active and is eating more too. I've read lots of posts on here saying anywhere between 4 and 6, more is better, but my five do really well. I think it's a 4:1 males to female ratio though, which might have an extra male there, anyway, not the point. My cories don't constantly shoal. One or two will frequently swim around the tank without the others, so if you do get more, don't expect some giant, cory party or something. Even though they will shoal and be happy, every little cory needs its space ;)

Thank you, that was really helpful!I have calculated on aqua advisor which says that I can have another three, bringing the total to five, so I may do this.

There is plenty of floor space so I think this should be ok.

And "giant, cory party" - LOL!

Thank you!

hi, corys do need to be in groups, i'd say 4 absolute min, 6+ is better. your corys are probably Corydoras trilineatus or a similar species, i doubt that they are julii as they are very rare. C. trilineatus are often misnamed C. julii. what is your tank size, filter, water change routine and stocking?

cheers :good:

Oh well that is good to know - I had heard that there was a debate about real jullie cories.

I have a 65 litre tank, with interpet PF3 Filter. Currently changing 25% a week. Stocking 6 neon tetras, 6 male guppies and 2 cories.

Most reactions

Back