Turtle behaviour

Red15

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a one and a half inch long Indian roofed turtle. It's been two days and I've noticed that my turtle doesn't like light or the sun. The moment I turn on the light or the morning light comes in the room, he would jump in the water and swim around or float
IMG_20240714_125025.jpg
IMG_20240714_125009.jpg
. But at night when it's absolutely dark, he comes out and sleeps on the land area untill it's morning.
Why doesn't he like to bask?
He loves cucumbers but isn't interested in pellets or spirulina.
I'm thinking of getting cuttlefish bone for calcium but i don't think he would like hard food. Even when I'm feeding cucumber he would only eat if I slice absolutely thin and little pieces that can fit his tiny mouth.
How do I add calcium amd vitamin to his diet?

You can buy reptile vitamin and mineral supplements in powder and liquid forms. The powder form is better. You sprinkle this onto their food and they get the vitamins and minerals when they eat the food.

Try a wide variety of foods. Some animals are feed the same food from day one and don't know other foods are good and won't touch them. The more variety they are exposed to when young, the better. Contact the place you got it from and ask them what they were feeding it.

Open the curtains or turn the room light on an hour before the tank light is turned on. This will let the turtle get use to the light and wake up without being blinded by a bright light above the tank. At night turn the room light on, then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes and then the room light off.

A lot of turtles avoid direct sunlight during the day and hide until it's darker. Baby turtles will also hide more because they don't want to get eaten. Turtles can take time to get use to their new home and it can take months for them to settle in if conditions aren't right and they feel stressed by something.

His tank has 4 yellow labs. Would that be a problem? I don't see the cichlids taking particular interest in him but I've seen them trying to peck the turtle's feet on or two times and then losing interest again.

Big turtles eat fish but while the turtle is small it should be an issue to the fish, and the fish shouldn't cause problems to the turtle. If the fish do pick at the turtle, you might move them into their own tank.

@Red15 Nice turtle.
Be sure to enter your new pet into the Pet of the Month contest. Just click on the banner at the top of the forums, read the rules and enter your turtle.

Last edited:
It is most likely your turtle sliding. They tend to be skittish when placed into an new environment. Was it kept with fish prior to you acquiring it? Personally, I would house it alone. They are a basking species so provide a UVB lamp and infrared heating. A piece of wood on your island might also help. Cuttle bone? No. Add calcium through crickets. First feed the crickets a calcium rich diet. Also, try small worms.

Okay so i understand what's wrong with my turtle. He can't submerge. Just now, i was trying to feed him pumpkin and a little piece fell in the water. He was trying so hard to swim into the water to catch it! But it seemed like something was keeping him floating from inside the water no matter how hard he tried. It's so sad to watch!
Is it respiratory infection? Is it gas build up? I don't see anything wrong with him physically from outside, eyes, nose, legs and shell are perfectly fine and clean. But he can't submerge.
What do i do now?

Most reactions

Back