Turquoise Rainbow Female?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RedTail123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 3 turquoise Rainbowfish, 1 male, 2 females, I've noticed that one of the females is silver with grey line running through its body, it also has a green tint to it. The other female has much more green, ( not as bright as the male though). Why are they so different from eachother?

BTW: The store I bought them from, a private owned fish store, said it was a turquoise female, and they seem to know what they're talking about, but I still wonder why they look so different.

Pics and/or video would help us, but it sounds like you might only have one female and the other one is a male coming to maturity.

That would make sense, I'll post some some pictures and/or videos when i can.

Can immature Rainbowfish flash? Cause the turquoise Rainbowfish that looks like a colorful female can't.

Lacustris can flash and even breed at very small size, 1.25"-1.5" is quite possible. Females usually don't flash...this is one way to sex them!

I used to breed M. lacustris. Color variations are normal even with good stock. Examples in my own stock Stress can play a big factor as well. A stressed fish usually shows much less color than a less stressed individual. Also, rainbows show less color later in the day than they do in the morning. Does this individual always look this pale?

Most reactions

Back