Turning Three Tanks Into One?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So I have three ten gallons I'm not using right now. I want to turn the three tanks into one for a hermit crab set up after my move. Would it be possible to take apart the silicone, remove the trim from each tank and then piece them back together into one tank? If I could do this, what all would I need to have (tools and such) and how difficult would it be? I'm trying to avoid buying a new set up.

This sounds very tricky to be entirely honest.

If you mean as one long rectangular tank, think you would need the base glass to be same length throughout, not 3 base glass joined together otherwise a very unstable base perhaps.

However, if you join the 3 whole tanks together. With each tank lower than the next one, you could possibly set up a cascading tank set up with pumps to return the water back to original highest tank, then thats certainly possible and i have seen these in LFS for plants.

I have thought about doing a system like this before but space and time to do this is severely limited :x

An example of cascading tank .....

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Pegasus_Cascade.html

Well the tank doesn't necessarily have to hold water since I'd be keeping land hermies in it. It just needs to hold substrate and friends, which is why I was thinking about doing this. I figured it would be complicated to make it water safe.

Sounds like a lot of unpractical work to me. I've had the same idea about a lot of my pet tanks as well but eventually gave on the idea haha

Hmm. Well maybe I'll see if I can trade the tens in at the LFS for credit towards a new thirty-ish tank. Might end up being way easier. :p

It was just a thought.

Maybe make bridges in between them? Or get a glass whole cutter and cut multiple wholes for them to crawl through?

Petco is having the $1 per gallon sale right now.

eduller said:
Petco is having the $1 per gallon sale right now.
I know. I will have to miss this one though as I can't buy anymore tanks until after my move next month. I'm running out of space in my car! I've got a bunch of animals to transport, what with all my aquaria and occupants and my dog and my worm cultures. (the stuff will come with a very generous friend).

Maybe they will have another one soon!

Most reactions

Back