Trying To Persuade The Fiance Getting A Bigger Tank Is A Good Idea?

joeyh51

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I started up my old 25 litre tank a couple of weeks ago, and I'm already wanting to upgrade to a bigger one (I'm thinking Rio 125 so not too big)... The only problem is, I need to try to persuade my fiance that this is a good idea!

I figured a few of you may have been in similar situations before, so does anyone have any advice, any really good arguments as to why getting a bigger fish tank is a brilliant idea?!

Pah, a rio 125 is a goldfish bowl. If you have the money get 5 footer or more. Check out nd aquatics price list. Lights, filters are a seperate buy but you can get exactly what you want

Through experience I've found that "manning up and doing exactly what you want" doesn't usually work out too well in the end run.

Cheers for the heads up about ND Aquatics, I'll check it out.

Through experience I've found that "manning up and doing exactly what you want" doesn't usually work out too well in the end run.

Cheers for the heads up about ND Aquatics, I'll check it out.
You will get better value from a custom made tank. Filters and light starter units and heaters can probably be bought cheaper elsewhere like eBay or pet supermarket and zooplus

just man up and go and buy what you want.

I'd imagine that will leave him sleeping in his brand new 5' fish tank, not the nice comfortable and WARM bed.

You could try a trade off - you get a 5' tank, she gets a pair of Jimmy Choos. Not that this worked with my missus.

Explain to the Mrs that the bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep the water conditions stable & so more benificial for the fish.

I started with a 48 litre, moved on to a 180 litre & now have a 400 litre 5 foot tank in my garage waiting for me to swap it for the 180. (I was going to do it this week as I am on holiday but the whole family, myself included, came down with the flu).

Tom

You could try a trade off - you get a 5' tank, she gets a pair of Jimmy Choos. Not that this worked with my missus.
I like this idea, I have a feeling that through some negotiation though, this might leave me with a fish tank (winner) but her with a puppy... which won't really leave her with a puppy at all, it'll leave US with a puppy.... Hmmmmm!

I like this idea, I have a feeling that through some negotiation though, this might leave me with a fish tank (winner) but her with a puppy... which won't really leave her with a puppy at all, it'll leave US with a puppy.... Hmmmmm!
Get a baby instead of a puppy lol

You can try something like craigslist. You can find some real nice deals. I just bought a 90 gallon with stand, filter, heater, top, and light for $250. Plus my wife seemed to appreciate the fact that I put some effort into searching for deals and was willing to settle for a nice second hand tank that didn't break the budget.

does she like the tank you have now, if not then your gonna have to be very patient untill she learns to aprieciate it, THEN go look at increasing tank size, as a woman i say dont push it, it might end in tears, tell her bigger tanks are more beautiful to look at, and puppies are waaaayyyyy more hard work and commitment than bigger tanks and babies are combined :nod:

Whos side are you on here?!!!

does she like the tank you have now, if not then your gonna have to be very patient untill she learns to aprieciate it, THEN go look at increasing tank size, as a woman i say dont push it, it might end in tears, tell her bigger tanks are more beautiful to look at, and puppies are waaaayyyyy more hard work and commitment than bigger tanks and babies are combined :nod:
Yeah I assume she doesn't really appreciate the tank at the moment, she referred to my khuli loaches as, and I quote "worms"!!

However she does like goldfish, so I could swing it by saying if we get a bigger tank, we could get a gold sev... and that's kind of like getting a puppy... right?!

Blimey, I think I have got the short straw here. 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 wife, 2 kids aged 3 & 5 & a fishtank. Believe me, its not easy juggling that lot.

Tom

Whos side are you on here?!!!

Yeah I assume she doesn't really appreciate the tank at the moment, she referred to my khuli loaches as, and I quote "worms"!!

However she does like goldfish, so I could swing it by saying if we get a bigger tank, we could get a gold sev... and that's kind of like getting a puppy... right?!

Severums Need really big tanks. At least a 5 footer lol

Most reactions

Back