Trying To Breed Auratus.

Steecy

Reaction score
I`ve got a male auratus about 3" and a female 3" in with a 2.5" female in a breeding tank on their own but the male just chases the larger female and nips her tail and she has no tail left to nip so she hides between a flower pot and the glass so he can`t get to her, the smaller female seems quick enough and always gets away but he just chases them all over the tank. I`ve put in some rocks to give the females somewhere to hide but he just seems to be a bully. Any suggestions on what to do?
Steecy

Auratus are known for being one of, if not THE most aggressive fish of the mbuna species and should be kept in a tank that`s a minimum of approx 55G. What size is the breeding tank and are the females conditioned to breed? IF not then there`s your problem, you say you have a flowerpot in the tank so am I right in thinking there are maybe only a couple of rocks or cave areas for the females to hide? The females need a fair few places to escape to.

Auratus males should have a few females to spread his harrassing and aggression around, if you only have the 2 females then you may well find that he`ll take all of his aggression out on them and could eventually kill them both.

Auratus are quite a difficult fish because of the aggression and this is why they`re not recommended for beginners. Unless they`re in a heavily stocked tank at most times unless temporarily in a breeding tank with a conditioned female, then you need to decide whether or not to keep the male or whether you`re going to let his aggression continue and risk the life of the females :/

The tank is only a small 20g tank, I thought it would be ok for a few fish to breed. Maybe get rid of the male and put the 2 females in my big tank.

The tank is only a small 20g tank, I thought it would be ok for a few fish to breed. Maybe get rid of the male and put the 2 females in my big tank.

:X :X :X :no: :no: :no:
As the male has already done some damage to one of the females I seriously think you should be looking at putting the females into the main tank and leave the male on his own in the 20G until you can either return or rehome him :/

I know it`s frustrating but this is why we tell people to do as much research as possible before buying particular species.

Lesson learnt though eh and I hope the female will be ok, if you do lots and lots of water changes to avoid any infection setting in then I`m sure she will be ;)

If you plan on breeding your fish then I`d suggest doing lots of reading before separating and putting them in a breeding tank before they`re actually ready to breed :good:

Most reactions

Back